1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Start time? End time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nwlandscaping, Mar 28, 2007.

1. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

How late do you guys usually work? My partner is a slave driver and constantly wants to keep going until sun down, but it takes its toll after awhile.
  2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

sunup to sundown...
    If you dont work,,, Pedro and Jose will:laugh:
  3. cranium2001

cranium2001 LawnSite Member

You need to work as long as it takes to get the job done. It seems most of the people on this site work 60-70 plus hours a week at one or more jobs. I myself have had at least three jobs for over six years. You need to ask yourself how bad you want to succeed. If you don't "Pedro and Jose"(quote) or someone else will. Good luck.
  4. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

If you have a vested interest in the companies success, you shouldn't be watching the clock, at least I don't. Whatever it takes!
  5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MN

i work 12-15 hour days mon-sat.
  6. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

Wow, I'd say during the Winter months we work maybe 30 hours a week. During the peak season it ends up being around 10 hour days. Sometimes it just seems hard on the psyche and body. I don't mind mowing all day...its hard, but what exhaust me is the constant mulching and only having wheelbarrows to lay it out. Having the right equipment is key to not burning yourself out.
  7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MN

in the winter months i hardly work at all only when it snows but i have to make up for that in the summer
  8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I work till the jobs done!! They wouldnt put headlights on mowers for no reason!! LOL
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Any thing over 8 hours a day or 40 a week is time and a half around here so 35-40 hours will do.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Working that many hours is bad in so many ways. Overtime will kill you financially. It is just plain stupid to pay someone time and a half because your planning is poor.

Tired people make mistakes, if you are lucky they will just cost you more time to correct the mistakes. When your luck runs out you will be sitting in an emergency room with an employee who has seriously hurt them selves.

I know if I schedule 6.5 hours of work in a day that my guys will be done with work in an 8 hour day including travel time and dumping. I know this is not the popular or manly answer but it is the correct one for operating a business.

Even topsites has figured out to raise his prices and do less work and make the same or more money.