1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Start-up Budget

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Good Shepard, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

If ya know some other guys in tha same biz start building some good relationships with them and ask them if they any lawns that they don't want.

2. FishandSon

FishandSon LawnSite Member

^^^^^ that was my key. My first winter plowing I subbed for a guy that had a chain of banks and a dealership. He's about an hour away from the ones that are in my area. I met him and I made a bunch of money when I wasn't expecting to be working. I ended up doing their lawns too. I also rent next to a much larger company than me. I do maybe 15 properties for him.1 customer for 15 accounts all paid the 1st of the month, it's been awesome. Obviously you won't base your business around that, but some of my best customers are competitors.

3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Senior Member

You will regret having a business partner. The cons outweigh the pros.
    I'd suggest putting EVERYTHING in writing as far as your responsibilities / who does what / profit split / how you will reinvest /etc etc. Also an exit plan to break off solo at some point. You'll find as with any job - one guy always thinks he's doing more then the other. Problem is...when you own a business 50/50....every hour that you work & your partner doesn't...you are literally working for FREE to pay him.

thor1911 likes this.
  4. thor1911

thor1911 LawnSite Member

lol at posting to a thread 13 years old!

My honest advice, drop your partner lol UNLESS he can do things you are not capable of doing. All your profit will be cut in half, a great disappointment. And partnerships, almost always fail I believe because one is going to work harder then another; then someone will get pissed.

I started my business with a huge piece of crap rust bucket 4 cylinder s10/sonoma. My dad's 21in mower, and a weed whacker from home depot lol.

Now i have a beautiful exmark walk behind, top of the line redmax whip and redmax 8500 blower, and a crappy echo edger from home depot lol(it works)

Start somewhere, you need to start getting money! Just start, don't hesitate its scary but just do it! A good motivational video ->
    don't wait brother