start up equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cp, Mar 14, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys,
    OK, here is my equipment layout, look it over and let me know if I'm close to being right for a rookie.

- '87 Chevy Silverado, 4X4
    - eXmark Lazor 52" rider
    - eXmark 32" walk behind
    - echoe comm grade weed whacker
    - echoe back pack blower
    - 6 x 12 single axle trailer w/hinge gate
    - asst gas cans, etc.

I'm I missing anything or am I over the top on any of this stuff. Most of my preliminary jobs are looking like 1.5-2.5 acre residentials..
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you might want to jump to at least a 14 foot trailer. the trailer space gets taken up real quick. i just got an 8 by 14 enclosed because i couldnt fit my rider and walk behind on the other trailer. most of the people on this site will tell you that you can never have too much trailer space. mowers and trimmers are good choices though.
  3. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Unless your just a grass cutter, you NEED some gas hedge trimmers. Take a look at the Shindiawas. Good luck with your business, Russ
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The only thing I see missing is a hedge trimmer and an edger of some sort if you do those services. Since you already have this trailer, it should be fine until you out grow it. Good luck. :)
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would increase the rider size to a Lazer Z 60". You would find it does cut grass faster than a 52".
  6. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you guys on the hedge trimmer, already in the works.

About the trailer, if I go with a 14 foot won't it have to be tandem and with a tandem then I'll need to incorporate brakes. I realize that if things pan out and I can get the work that I will probably out grow the trailer next year along with needing a new 2001 silverado. haha...
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It's alot better than with what I started with ...besides what's been said .....get a back up weed wacker ;->

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

BRAKES!!!!!!!!!! UH-OH, my 16 footer doesn't have brakes and my old c1500 chevy had no problem stopping it with everything on it, the superduty certainly doesn't have any problems stopping it now.
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

my 16 ft tandem has no brakes ....truck stops here nicely
  10. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

I would like to chime in and say that a 60"lazer might be a little better on those type jobs. Also I think that it is a law in some states that tandem axels of a certin weight have to have brakes. You might want to look into that.