Start up equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Berry, Nov 18, 2000.

1. J Berry

J Berry LawnSite Member
    from nh

What would be a general list of equipment needs for a start up business doing mainly residential accounts, hopefully some commercial eventually, with in a realistic budget.
    New vs Used.
    Walk behind vs Ride-on.
    Trailer size.

Thaks for info
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

If you live in the city or suburbs and lokking to make a one man operation I'd suggest a 48-60" walkbehind, trim mower,weed wacker and a blower. you can fit this on a smal 8x10trialer with plenty of room. If you live where there is a lot of commercial cutters that I would suggest used but well maintained commercail equipment. there is so much more I could tell you but here is the most important. Slowly build up. A solid walkbehind cutting 40 lawns a week is the best way to make a honest living. If you dream of ztrs and 20 foot trailers than I would suggest being in the business for a few years and weight the pors and cons of taking on larger peices of equipment and more overhead. If you have any questions or need more info on your start up let me know!!!!!
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I started out with a old chevy, 48" bobcat (used, with new motor), tiny trailer, cratsman weed eater, cratsman blower.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Single axle trailer (maybe 5'x10'), 36" or 48" WB, 21" push mower, straight-shaft trimmer, backpack blower, plus the assorted hand tools required. Put racks on the trailer for gas and gas/oil, tools, trimmer, and blower. Buy commercial quality equipment. Do a search to find out the choices of the pros. Good luck.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If you have plenty of capitol and
    have worked enough in this buisiness
    to know you want to be here.
    buy equipment thats quality and fast
    enough to handle growth.
    If above is not the case take onestep
    up at a time.One thing,unless you hiring
    someone to walk,walking all day in July
    can get rough.been T M
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

What you need:

1. A 21 mower
    2. A shovel
    3. A broom

What would be much better:

1. A used walkbehind (take your pick on size, I'd prefer something in the 52" variety) $1200
    2. A new trimmer, maybe a Shindaiwa T230 $250
    3. A Stick edger $340
    4. A backpack blower $450
    5. A hedge trimmer $300
    6. A 12-14 foot used trailer $600

And if you can swing it maybe another used walkbehind (36")