1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Start up money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PalmettoGreen, Feb 12, 2007.

1. PalmettoGreen

PalmettoGreen LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had ever got or heard of anyone getting a gov. grant to open a lawn care biz?
  2. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I started to look into it, but it looked pretty complicated, so I went with other options!!! If you figure out how to do it, let me know!!!
  3. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone ever read that book that the guy with the question mark suit sells on tv?

that thing is supposed to be about "FREE!" money from the gov isnt it...sorry im not much of a help here lol
  4. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

Dont buy the question Mark guys book. The thing he doesnt tell you is all of his programs are "grants" but most people in the US call it welfare. He is a scam, do your research on the internet. As far as getting grants in this Industry, yes you can. BUT you need to have a business plan and put together a grant proposal outlining what needs YOU are meeting of ncle Sams with your business. (creating jobs, located in a hub zone, hiring the handicap etc) if you have any questions, just send me a PM.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best bet is if you don't have money to start up is make a 5 yr business plan and go to a bank and discuss your business venture with them and if it all looks good and you have good credit then you'll get a loan. Thats what alot of guys do like the come out of nowhere lco's just starting out with 3 new trucks, all new mowers etc. I was fortunate enough to have had $50,000 extra laying around that I used to start up my business and im glad I was able to start it that way. But I haven't met anyone tha started up a lawn care business through a gov grant but best of luck to you
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

No one will give you money to start a business. You can get a loan or investors. The only grants I know of are for R&D and they only offset part of your costs.
  7. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

the only way to get a government grant is to be NON-profit, so guess what...no lawn co. is going to get a government grant.
  8. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

the only way to get a government grant is to be NON-profit, so guess what...no lawn co. is going to get a government grant.

Not exactly true....... It is difficult to get government grants, but it is NOT impossible, I work with grant programs, all businesses can apply not matter if its a non profit or for profit. You need to give uncle sam what he is looking for and if you can meet those needs then you can apply for grant programs. If you would like to see your local governments economic "wish list" of needs, then contact your local community development center and ask to see a copy of the consolidated plan and see what your local community has a NEED for. Fill the need, get the money. Example of a government need is creating full time jobs, for each job you create from your community you may be able to qualify for a grant that way. If you have questions, send me a PM. Not everyone has experience in this industry but there is free money out there if you know HOW to get it.
  9. PalmettoGreen

PalmettoGreen LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. It's not that i can't get a loan to start up full time but why borrow money if uncle sam will give it to me? I just thought it would be somthing to look into but maybe a long shot.
  10. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

yah i think you saw that commercial with the puprple suited guy screamin get $$$ from gov.....lol...joke....nah ive thought the same way you did, 3 years ago..been in biz pt since2001