Start up mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by donny44131, Feb 13, 2007.

1. donny44131

donny44131 LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I've been cutting grass for a few years, but nothing hardcore. I just used a 33" walk behind. But this year I have a partner and were hoping to land 30 - 50 lawn. I was thinking about getting a 48" walk behind or zero turn. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what to get or what company to go with. Thanks!

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a rider no matter what, you'll be more productive and less tired at the end of the day.

Depends on your budget and what dealers you have in your area. I hear scag is coming out with a new Commercial ZRT that should be around $5,000 Brand New. Whatever you buy go commercial, stay a way from lowes and Home Depot yeah they look nice and less money but if your really gonna mow they'll be broke in a month.

3. donny44131

from NE Ohio

I was looking at a Dixon Kodiak for about $6400 out the door, hows that sound?

Just keep sending me ideas, it would help out alot!

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Dixon is owned by Huskqvarna now so stay away, far away. I had a husky mower and it was ok but there's others out there better built and cut better.
    The Scag mower is a Freedom Z. It looks to be a decent entry commercial mower.
    What dealers do you have locally. Alot are running 0% financing right now so thats a bonus. Where is Seven Hills @?

5. donny44131

from NE Ohio

outside of Cleveland Ohio

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Find a nice hydro walkbehind on ebay or locally for 2g, go out and get those yards you want, cut for 2 months and if you think you can make an expensive ztr productive enough then go out and get one. $6400 on a mower without having a lot of yards (Im assuming by your post you dont have too many) is absolutely crazy.

7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a Dixon Kodiak. The first one I had was a problem child. I kept taking it in for repair and got tired of it. I called the dixon rep and told him my problems and he agreed that it was a lemon and they gave me a brand new one. That was towards the end of the season so I have a new to start this year with. So far it has been great. Dixon has a great cut too. I would recommend it to anyone and I am sure I will stay with them. Anyone can make a bad mower but it depends on the support of the maker that makes the difference....JMO

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id go with another walkbehind either a 48" or 52" until you land more customers then when you get alot of customers id upgrade to a ZTR

9. donny44131

from NE Ohio

yea, that what I'll probably do, but say I do want a ZTR now, what would you guys recommend

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Look @ a gravely 152. Nice well built machine and reasonably priced. Lesco is another decent mower but kinda slow.