start up prob

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bckind, May 5, 2007.

1. bckind

bckind LawnSite Member
    from WI

started up a residential system utilizing a lake pump. blew out system in fall and everything functioned properly. reconnected pump filter, primed pump(definitely pumping, got soaked), started test program, no heads come up. system has master valve. checked voltage from controller, mv voltage good. resistance good. any ideas would be appreciated :)

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Master valve stuck closed?

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If the controller is working and firing both the MV and the individual valves but nothing is popping up then obviously you have a problem with the master valve. Try firing it manually (at the valve) and see if you can get water to your main line.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure there is no isolation valve you've not opened...some valves fail
    open/closed...I'd check the solenoid port for flow first after Purps suggestion.
    Age of system a big part of this...which is why I spec brass valves for mstr.,
    they work so hard! Let us know before we suggest chimney cleaning.

5. bckind

bckind LawnSite Member
    from WI

i manually turned selenoid to open, no change. strange thing, only head to show a sign of water is 1 1800 in zone 4. won't pop up, but spits out a little stream about 4 inches. thought at first it might just take a bit to fill all zone pipes (bout 3 acres, 11 zones)let zone run bout 1.5hr, nothin but the trickle. :(

6. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    that poor pump

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Is there any impeller left in the pump :D

8. bckind

bckind LawnSite Member
    from WI

if the pump were damaged, would it still put out water(took of cap on top and water was shooting 15' in air.

9. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the pump is not primed. Or it lost prime.