Start Up suggestion

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by raiderlandscaping725, Feb 7, 2007.

1. raiderlandscaping725

raiderlandscaping725 LawnSite Member

I am starting a new company and would like some suggestions on how to get more customers right now, when it would be a good time to start scalping and how to bid certain jobs. One question is how much is the normal sized yard priced at for scalping only.

2. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Im not quite sure what you mean by scalping? mowing? It kind of depends on what your idea of a normal sized yard is. It depends on where you are located as well, here in Illinois I charge no less than $25 a yard (this is for small residential).

Best way to get customers is by advertising with door hangers or flyers door-to-door. What is you budget for advertising? I would suggest getting 5000 post card sized flyers made at Gotprint.com for under $150. And some type of sign or decal on the side's of your truck...I use magnetic signs I had custom made for $75.

As far as when to begin.....get those flyers made, it usually take about 10-14 days after you order to recieve them. The first week in march go out and basically nuke every house with your flyers in the areas you are looking to gain customers. Then go back out the second week in april and do it all over again (same houses). The average return rate on door-to-door flyers is less than 2% but can be much higher. So if you put out 5000 you can expect around 40-50 calls (rough estimate)

3. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I've heard of scalping, is this normal for your area? I don't do it where I am I just mow more often and charge accordingly.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am in Dallas. Scalping is not really required but it seems customary and is a bassackwards way of de-thatching a bermuda lawn.

You can do that sometime in the next few weeks.

Flyer's are the best way to get started.

5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

door to door will net you more sales than anything else.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Work door to door with your EQ on a Saturday. The start to schedule for other days.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Advertise Advertise Advertise thats the best way to get your name out there and make sure you have all the equipment you need to do the job. Do quality work and the word will get around and you'll get more customers do sh!tty work and you'll sink before you float