Start up times for your business in neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hummingbird3d, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

On Saturdays I always get annoyed with one guy who starts mowing the lawn of a neighbor about 5 houses down. He starts around 7 - 7:30 in the morning and at times I have felt like running down there and giving my .02 and telling him to start only in the afternoon!:hammerhead:

Now that I'm am in the starting stages of this business I am starting to understand why he starts so early. I'd like to get as many jobs done in the day too, but I don't want to start pissing off neighbors that could be possible customers.

What times do you start mowing in neighborhoods usually?

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I usually start between 8-8:30am M-F.
  3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I try on Sat. to run my route so the ones that are home are later.

If I cant do that I start around 8:30 to 9
  4. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

Don't cut on Sat unless it is a makeup day. Everybody needs time away from work, whether doing it or watching some one else.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Weekdays I try to go for no earlier than 8:30 and on saturdays I try for 9:30 unless I absolutely have to start earlier.
  6. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I try not to start before 9am
  7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I usually don't work weekends unless rainy week or a pop up call. I usually start around 8 8:30, depending upon how many you have. You got to sleep in on the weekends..
  8. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Well for me in the summer i dont work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday unless i HAVE to make it up for rain or leaves sometimes run later on Friday but Monday thru Thursday i start my mowers at my Commerical jobs around 5:30-6 A.M then move into resi's after noon. Now during the winter, If it snows my blower is started during the week at 5-5:30 and weekends 6-6:30 A.M but nobody seems to care about that when there is a foot of snow on the ground. I think there are laws from city to city about what time you can start and have to end by.
  9. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Here is no earlier than 7 in the morning :nono: