1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Start up truck???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SERG501, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SERG501

SERG501 LawnSite Member

Found a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L V6 w/140K for $5000 out the door at a dealership in my area and was wondering if this would be a good start up truck??..Would need it to haul a 5x10 utility trailer carrying a 48"WB,21", blower, and weed eater. Took it to a mechanic to get it inspected and everything came back good.. Having trouble loading pics but body is in great shape and looks sharp..Any opinions?

2. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

For 5000 you could probably find a decent full size from a older retired gentleman, take a look around, there's tons of great deals you just have to find them. :)

3. tbambersvc

tbambersvc LawnSite Member

I would go with a 3/4 ton myself, but thats my preference. I went from a 3/4 to 1/2 ton truck (Dodge 2500 to F150 ) and find that I don't have enough truck for some jobs. I'm looking to get into a 3/4 ton again as my business is growing and I am getting more jobs where I can save $$ on delivery costs and haul it myself. Besides I hook a trailer to my truck and it drinks gas. Just my $.02.

EDIT: Keep scanning local CL ads and dealer sites. Something will pop up!

4. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Agreed. Don't dump 5 grand into a 13 year old compact truck. With the V6 on that Ranger you'll get no better gas mileage than a half ton. I would recommend a half ton at a minimum and for 5K you should be able to find a decent older one. Good luck!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I'd look for an older 7.3 PSD, 12 valve Cummins, or a full size Chevy with the 350.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BeastMowed

BeastMowed LawnSite Member

Also you shouldn't be looking at dealerships if you are spending 5k. They will eat you alive with document fees and BS like that. Craigslist is where it's at. WAY more bang for your buck.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget about doing a used vehicle inspection from a trusted shop. I did that with my last purchase and chewed the CL seller down with leveraged issues like brakes and other nickel dime stuff. payup
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

you could do like me and get by pulling your equipment with a motorcycle.

9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

no,,,,i think HE wants to be a professional :laugh:

10. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

chuckles. that was for about 2 weeks before in got approved for my truck.