start up ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BGS Lawn care, Apr 10, 2006.

1. BGS Lawn care

BGS Lawn care LawnSite Member

I have a full time, seasonal job so I'm looking for between 5 and 10 lawn mowing jobs. I know that I'm going to need to get a buisness licence , insurance and probably an accountant, which are things that I never had to do before. I know these things are important but,it just seems like alot of hassle to go through, when I'm not even sure, if I'm going to be able to get any lawns this year. I'm curious about how most of you started out. Did most of you get these things right away, and hope that you get some lawns to cut, or did you get them later on in the season, after you had enough clients and knew that the buisness was going to actually work? Thanks in advanced for all replies.

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

BGS,
    I started doing friends places about 3 years ago, just 4 a week. I do have a full time job that i hold down and decided to get a few more. So i purchased a Ztr, good trimmer and blower registered the name and got insurance to cover my services. Just talk to my tax advisor and he gave me a book on how to keep records for this type of business. Pick a area of service and do some marketing remeber you are selling your self with your services. Look for homes that can afford lawn care or you are just wasting your time. I have had good luck at posting at Food stoors that have bulletin boards by the exits, and word of mouth.

Good luck.

3. hostingdiva

hostingdiva LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You do need a business lisence and insurance but you don't need an accountant.

Will you be self employed or are you going to incorporate?

You should get QuickBooks or Peachtree to help you keep track of all the accounting - I'm sure that one of those companies has a set up specifically for lawn businesses because it's a pretty big market so take a look at that.

Here is a link for you to the QuickBooks contracting software page:
    http://quickbooks.intuit.com/commerce/catalog/category.jhtml?categoryId=cat0000000000006333014

As long as you keep your personal expenses and professional expenses separate - you should be able to file the taxes no problem. If you're thinking of eventually doing this more seriously I would recommend incorporating.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you can handle filing your taxes if you are only going to have 10 customers...the form is very simple.

5. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

I would never advise to do anything illegal, but you asked to get a feel of what others have done I believe and here is my short and sweet 2 cents...

When I started I had no job so it was serious from the get go....I knocked on doors, passed out flyers, ran an add in the paper, and just kept going every day until someone had something they wanted done so I could eat that day....

I didn't get a business name nor any insurance at first, because it was from hand to mouth every day, nor did I keep up with every dollar I made....but within 4-5 months I took care of all the legal stuff.

Working without insurance in a big NO NO....but I did it and was fortunate enough that nothing ever went wrong. This is a great business and you will find out if you work it hard enough that it is very profitable. Good Luck