1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

start up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by broske, May 11, 2006.

1. broske

broske LawnSite Member

I was thinking of starting my own company.I work for a company now and not to impressed with them I hold all the pesticide licenses in the company and if I leave they would have to sub everything out maybe me?Start up money and everything is kind of a ? mark,although I'm sure I could get a loan to buy somemore equiptment.Looking for someone who has been in this situation to get there input.Thanks
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I think the question is why aren't you subbing the pesticide applications out already? You did the work to obtain the lic. Anyway, I would take care of any outstanding debt before starting my own company, but that's me. I would see what the market in my area was like, figure out how many clients I could get since it's already late spring. calculate my costs, get all lic's and insurance, come up with a scheduling method (after all you phone hopefully will be ringing off the hook). Get quickbooks or some other business software. Then I would check into some good used equipment, pay taxes quarterly and look for a very good CPA. Then I would get some sleep, because your going to need it if your solo.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  3. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Thanks for input hardwork doesn't scare me but taking the "plunge" does but I feel like I need to do it.Thanks again