start up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lsu03, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

would it be smart for a teen starting up to offer straight fertilizing?

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how old is teen? i would say stick to mowing lawns for now. then get some experience fertilizing the parents and family lawns before offering any fertilizing to strangers. best route is to go work for a company for a few years, but you might have to be older to even do that.

3. lsu03

almost 16 but wouldn't be offering until almost 17.

4. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I would like to help, but I noticed the LSU football player and since they destroyed my Buckeyes---your on your own (just kidding:laugh:)
    Seriously, I would suggest doing a few family members,neighbors or friend for a year or two to get familiar ( you'll need a applicators license first)

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I started with core aeration, then after a year got into fertilization. There is a lot to learn, its not just sprinkling fertilizer pellets on a lawn (this is what I thought when I first got into lawn care-luckily I started with aeration then learned about fertilizing before I started quoting). Take your time and learn. You can make decent money with lawn care, however when starting don't "give away" your services just to get business. You can start with mowing and aeration, maybe dethatching: non of those require the pesticide insurance and permits (usually around $1,000 year). Build a decent base of customers for a few years, then after "practicing" fertilizing for friends/neighbors, decide if you want to move up to fertilizing.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilizing is a place to start your career in the Green industry.
    Go slow, read everything you can get your hands on,take school classes in farm/ horticulture etc.

Just finding this site and asking your question tells me you have a lot on the ball.

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice...reminds me of when I was in high school starting out. I was doing weekly maintenance for my uncle and he asked me to fertilize the lawn. I went to the harware store and bought a bag of ammonium nitrate and spread it as carefully as I could by hand. After a couple weeks the lawn was fully psychadelic looking with all the weird patterns in it :). Embarrased about my futile first attempt I found an old metal drop spreader at a garage sale and told him that I would fix it for him. I picked a setting that I thought was about right, filled the hopper with A.N. again and went to town. The spots that were green fried to golden brown and the spots that didn't get any the first go around grew 3" a week for a while :).

Eventually everything got back to normal and I learned how to do it the right way but I'm glad I learned that on a family members house. Some of my other customers at the time wouldn't have thought it was as funny as my uncle did.

8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

I would build up your mowing clientel for another year, therefore you could possibly have them as fertilizing clients in the future...also

- Must be 18 for an applicators license

- Can't charge any money for applications without a license, no matter where you get the chemical...so what you are doing is illegal, even though we have all done it...

I would definitely recommend getting ready for the test right now though, you could either take a class if nearby or you can study the manuals on your own, either way works...the sooner you offer more (adding chemical applications) with your business the sooner you will establish your business...

9. lsu03

you don't need a apps. license to apply straight fert in la, just pesticide.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

fert all those weeds they grow better. you still need control. get a job for a lawn chem co, get license and experience