1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Start weekends-only??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bxbrown, Sep 5, 2006.

1. bxbrown

bxbrown LawnSite Member

Considering leaving the corporate world for the greener pastures of my own lawn care business. I am nearly 100% certain that this will be a great change for me, but I'm wondering if I should gain some experience with a weekend-only start, then jump in full time later. Has anyone done this? Any words of wisdom?
  2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I started out doing lawns after work and weekends years ago. After I started getting to many to do part time thats when I made the "Leap of faith". I was doing 3 or 4 small lawns each day,after work and 10 on saturdays and 2 big ones on sunday. This took me 2 years to get to this point. That was the point at which I jumped in, and Ive never looked back.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not a bad idea to test the waters, so to speak...not sure from your post if you have prior experience in lawn care or running a business. If you think you would benefit from starting small, you are probably right.

I think the majority of people on LS started part-time, from what I've read over the years.
  4. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

My wife and I bought an existing LCO (small- 22 clients) in October last year. I hired a guy to do the work and worked with him on my days off. Worked my arse off on flyer distribution and customer relations.........long story short....left the corporate world in March this year and now have 100+ clients/week. It can be done: usflag: ; and my wife and kids (3 & 2 year old) get to see Daddy every day. Good luck.
  5. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I would start on weekends and after work at first. Build up some customers and get an idea of your cost of doing business per yard. It is more than you might think. After you have a good idea of this then you will know how many yards you will need to get to make up for your lost income of working in the corporate world. The bigger you get, the more headaches you have ie. employees, customer complaints, etc. I wish you the best of luck but I think you should not quit your job and go in head first. Get your feet wet and then you know what you are getting into and how to do it.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Word of wisdoms-- answer your own post,
    Will it be a great change-- yes it will; the question is great good or great bad.
    How many kids do you have, how much money do you need to live on. Can you live with very little income for a few years, do you need health insurance, and have you done a business plan. Is it a plan that you can take to your accountant and talk about without him laughing? Do you have any equipment, do you have any customers, and do you have an exit plan and a plan for retirement. Do you have start-up money? You are right --The grass is greener, but it also sticks to your hot sweaty body as you work in the heat. There is money to be made in this business. But it has a limit behind a mower. It gets greater behind a desk. Just know that this is a business just like any other. You will get out of it what you put into it. You are not leaving Corporate America, just changing the widget. Do a great plan and answer all YOUR questions. Good luck with it:)
  7. Grimmy

Grimmy LawnSite Member

Check the demographics. Competition is out there. Start small part time as most of us have and still do. I have been in the business 7 years and have continually grown. I am still in the corporate world however, soon to retire. Your passion will take you farther than your strength is my philosphy.
    How much are you willing to invest? These posts have responded with excellent feedback.
    Wish you well in your endeavor.
  8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i am weekends only right now. this is my first year, and i already have both sat and sunday full up. i also work landscaping for another company, and go to school full time, so im pretty screwed right now hahaha. next spring im makin the leap, so that it will be just school and my lawncare. i really think its a good idea for you to do weekends only for a year or less first, escpecially when just starting and having no customers yet. i can think of no reason why this wouldnt be a good idea. you can quit your job whenever you want lol.