Started a good size job yesterday...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Red Shed Landscaping, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have had to be constantly conscious of my plumbers/landscapers crack. I am always thinking I need to pull up my pants or pull my shirt down.
  2. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

He probably went inside to tell his wife that all this work would have taken him 2 months and he is so happy they get to spend some quality time together..
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped reading this thread when I read this post.

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

The only reason I mention this is because I've heard horror stories of home owners who let stupidity take over when watching contractors. I personally saw last year in a neighborhood we were working a family was getting a new driveway paved, they were out with their two young boys watching all day, chatting with the contractor when after a while one of the boys runs and puts his hands in the fresh hot asphalt. It got really ugly after that.

A contractor does need to remember no matter how nice or helpful anyone on a job site is, they are a liability.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Watching from 5' away, maybe no good.

Watching from 20-30' - not bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I've had it happen before, and depending on the situation I will ask politely for them to watch from inside...

or give them ear plugs, safety glasses, a hard hat, dust mask, orange vest and ask that they wear all the provided safety gear plus safety toe boots and long pants if they feel that they need to be outside watching up close the whole time... they usually get the idea pretty quick.

I honestly prefer customers that if they are going to watch/try to micro-manage the project stay outside, rather than the "pop out for a minute" type.

I've had the bejesus scared out of me before while cutting when a customer came out her door and tapped me on the shoulder to ask me something :hammerhead: ... I just about cut off my foot.

My best install customer was great... he was retired and always at home, but wanted to be surprised and not see a thing until it was finished... he would call me and I would have to come inside to talk to him if he needed something. The blinds were closed the entire 2 weeks of the project.
  7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a guy that sat on his deck and watched us 10 hours a day for 2 weeks. Had my helper load his ipod with the hardest death metal he could find to hopefully chase back in the house. Nope sat right through ALL DAY
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem after every job when I am going to the bank with the check.... The people at the bank just sit there and are looking at me everytime!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

Well they weren't watch all day today but a bunch of neighbors stopped by to see what was going on. There was about 9 of them at one point watch us dig for a hour or so. Felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

They don't get real close so its not a hazard. They like to talk though and when I work I don't like to talk and stay focused. This town has a population of about 2-400 people so this is big excitement.
  10. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you always aggregated to talk to potential customers?
    Posted via Mobile Device