1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Started a grass fire today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KrisD, Mar 30, 2001.

1. KrisD

KrisD LawnSite Member

Today while mowing a small residential lawn I looked up to notice it was on fire. I quickly put it out using my trusty hat and then the water hose. It only burned up a small section. I talked to the fire dept. and they said it might have been caused by hitting a rock or something caused a spark. The grass was still mostly dormant and dry. My question is how common is this? Has it happened to anyone else? The customer took it ok. I'm afraid that I will worry that I left the back yard on fire or something on all my future yards. Thanks for your help.
  2. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

Being a professional firefighter, let's just say that must have been some spark. The grass would have had to been dry enough and tall enough to support combustion from a spark.

But the benefit is, it's early enough in the season that when it grows back, it will be lush and green. Just say you meant to do that.

PIONEER LawnSite Member

not in ohio
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

While power edging, 2 years ago during drought conditions, I set the dried grass on fire. I was dancing on the flames until it went out. I left a 3' diameter circle of burnt lawn. Learned a lesson that day.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

During leaf season we had to keep a close eye on the muffler on our Walkers, leaves get stuck in the shield and start on fire easily. Never had a problem with grass other than it getting in there and smoldering and stinking bad.
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I had a belt heat up once, and of course lucky for me there was a small pile of dry, 3 month old grass lying under it. Guess what happened next, luckily though the grass fire was small and i just blew it out.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i was doing leaves one time with a fradan push blower. the muffler is located lower on the blower and i was near a pile a leaves and the muffler caught it on fire. i quickly jumped up and down on them till they went out, but is was a close call.