Started a New Good Size Pondless Waterfall

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pics of a pondless or disappearing waterfall I just started at a subdivision entrance center island. We placed 9 tons of moss boulders with the mini excavator yesterday. Today we will finish out a lot of the feature with foam, gravel and assorted sized river rock.

This will have an Easy Pro EP 10,000 gph pump. I used a Savio waterfall well, and I also used Aquascape aquablox so I wouldn't have to dig as large a hole

I will be landscaping the entire entrance in the next couple of weeks. This is the first time I have had control of the plantings surrounding one of my features so I am pretty excited.

I will post more pics as I go along.

WaterfallBeforeEmail3.jpg

WaterfallBeforeEmail2.jpg

WaterfallBeforeEmail1.jpg

2. yosoniamcool3

yosoniamcool3 LawnSite Member

how big is the area u got to work with

3. Venturewest

I spent half the day getting the smaller rock. We didn't get too much done. Note the nasty foam will all be trimmed out.

The center island is 69' x 36' total. There will be about 3 1/2 feet of total fall. Length of feature will be about 25 or 30' long and meander a lot.

WaterfallDay2 LOW 003.jpg

4. Venturewest

We only had 3 hours to work on this today. It is taking shape and tomorrow we will finish, fill and test.

WaterfallDay3 LOW 002.jpg

5. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

Sweet...lets see the finished!

6. Pondliner.guy

Pondliner.guy LawnSite Member

Thanks for telling me about your feature. Sorry the EP10000 already kicked the bucket on you. Hope the new pumps will be better for this feature

Andy

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

What is the smaller rock 3/4 pea gravel?

8. Venturewest

It is 1 1/2 " to 2 " washed river rock.. Some slightly smaller.

9. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

looking GREAT so far... can't wait to see the final pics.
    Were you able to place all those rocks with the 334? I used the same machine for a pondless waterfall and had problems moving smaller boulders than you have in there.

10. Venturewest

Yeah the 334 did just fine. I think 1200 lbs was the heaviest boulder. This was a 334 Long reach and I had it fully extended. Maybe they had the one you used governed down, or the hydraulics limited like they do sometimes with rentals. Of course I had the blade down to keep it from tipping.

My new pump had a problem, so I wont take any more pics until my new pumps arrive and we have permanent electric service out there. Maybe a few days. I decided to use 2 6000 gph Atlantic Water garden pumps. Only draw about 4 amps a piece. I will put one on a timer to turn off during the winter so I can keep one running so the feature doesn't freeze.