Started at 49, down to 30

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, I am definetly going to be getting a ZTR for next year. Will probably purchase it in March of 05.

So I started out with 49 mowers that I selected from approx 100 to 120. Now I have narrowed it down to 30.

How am I narrowing it down?
    My criteria
    1. gallon size most be 9 gallons or more
    2. must have a minimum of 25HP
    3. 52 to 61 cut
    4. run at least 10 MPH
    5. thick gage deck
    6. no diesel
    7. cutting height must be between 1.5" to 5"+

After I narrow it down more on those above, then I will narrow it down by price and quality of cut. Maybe even look at dealer location

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well I have a Scag Tiger cub, It doesnt meet many of your specs, the Turf Tiger would, if the turf tiger is as good as the cub I think you would be pleased, just my 2 cents worth

3. tiedeman

from earth

actually the Turf Tiger is one of the 30 that I have selected.

4. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Super Z written all over it.

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Have you looked at Grasshopper? :waving:

6. grass_cuttin_fool

The Scag is the only zero turn I have ever owned, I cant say anything good or bad about any others. From reading other post of yours I know you are mature enuff to know that all brands of mowers turn out a lemon every now and then. I put about 370 hours on my tiger cub and the only thing that went wrong was the deck belt broke but it was my fault. I was mowing in heavy wet grass and was cutting the the clutch in and out trying to purge the deck of grass and threw the belt off and then it broke. Belt replacement is very simple with only A 1/2'' rachet and extension. To change oil they have the frame cut so that the oil drains to the oil pan on the floor with out running all over the frame. Plenty of grease fittings. I think its a well thought out machine and oh the deck is built like a tank. Give it a good look at , I like mine and would buy another in a minute if I was in the market

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely, best bang for the buck!

8. grass_cuttin_fool

Ok guys, dont get me wrong, and Im not trying to take over this thread. I see ''super z''," grasshopper'', and ''gravely'' mention. What makes them stand out as a good mower, is it the ease of service and qaulity of cut? Like i said im not out to start a peeing contest but im interested to know what makes you think they are good mowers? I have stated that all mowers are good or they wouldnt be in buisness. And every company has a lemon at times. So post why you like your brand the best, It may help tiedeman in making a decision

9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Get a gravely 260Z, toughest deck i've ever seen. Lots of cool features like the hydraulic lift deck, which really comes in handy when you mount a snow plow on the front of it. The only thing it doesn't meet on you criteria list is that the deck only goes to 5 inches. But it is fast and has plenty of power with engine sizes in 25 or 27 hp.

10. tiedeman

from earth

I now have it down to 26. I hope to get it down to 20 before looking at the price.

ok, what I am looking at
    1. Cub Cadet, Tank M54
    2. Cub Cadet, Tank M60
    3. Scag, Turf Tiger
    4. Ferris, 4500Z
    5. Ferris, 4000Z
    6. Ferris, 3000ZX
    7. Ferris, 3000ZXL
    8. Yazoo/Kees, Max 2
    9. Toro, Z580 Series
    10. Toro, Z500 Series
    11. Exmark, Lazer Z