1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Started cutting yesterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Apr 18, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Hello to all I started mowing sunday. Looking forward to a good season. wish me luck. lcme
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Why in the world would you mow commercially on a Sunday? If I were the client I'd tell you to leave and come back on a weekday when I wasn't trying to enjoy my weekend.
  3. LCME

You're correct. Was the wrong day to start mowing. I just wanted to get the lawns started early and get the first cutting done. But, I would not work on sunday again. Only during the week. Thanks for the comment.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We never mow in a Sunday, but a lot of people do around here. Why? Because they have full time jobs, and the weekends are their only time to mow.
  5. LCME

i do have a full time job. i leave work at 3p. so i do have time to mow after. i'm going to give the biz one month. if i do well i will stick with it. if i do bad i'm leaving.
  6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What do you consider "well?"
  7. LCME

having enough customers to make $$ to stay in the biz. if i get too busy i will start sub contracting out the work. i'm not even close yet. only a dream now. but you never know till you try.
  8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If you are only giving it a month, I am fairly sure that you will not make it. Figure out what your market will bear, figure out your costs, develop a plan of attack, and then give it all that you have for at least a year.

The only way to succeed is to jump in with both feet. I don't mean doing things carelessly and without forethought but giving it all you got. Dipping your little toe in the water won't cut it.

Oh, you might get a customer or two that make you a little extra spending money but in order to be profitable, you can't hold back and you need a dream that won't die.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We do lawns on Sundays once in awhile but we live in the country so people are used to Sunday work. We have to do the ball diamonds and soccer fields whenever there is no one on them so sometimes Sundays are the only days. Last year we did a church cleanup on a Sunday at their request, I was suprised to say the least. We used to do a Doctor's office on Sundays sometimes too.
  10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sunday is the perfect day to mow many businesses. Many are closed so the cars are out of the way. Also, after 25 years, I have realized the more that see you mowing, the more chances you have of new customers. So many people are around to see you working on a weekend.
    Sundays are Sunday...we just move all the Sundays to December, January and February.hahaha
    Everyone has their opinion of what works for them...my guys know Sundays are fair game.
    The BIG one is aerating.I get tons of business aerating on Sundays...you know the nosey neighbor just has to see what is going on!!!!
    We booked 2 yards in a small subdivision and ended up doing 9 while we were there. That would not have happened during the week when eveyone was at work.
    Just my 2 cents......