Started the season with everything in top running condition...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

And everything is falling apart already! Funny how good mowers will run in the garage when they are clean and tuned and as soon as they hit the real world again they go to s**t!!!

The little 36" walker is in the shop with carburator problems that I could not get figured out. My better Dixon has about a dozen things going wrong with it. The trimmer suddenly dosn't want to run right.

Makes for a VERY frustrating day when I have to keep peicing things back together all the time to keep them going.... There's something to be said for NEW equipment!!!! Problem is I just don't have the funds to be makig another payment for a new ZTR, but it's the front line machine... I need it to be up and running all the time, no exceptions. I have a back-up ZTR and it looks like I'm going to have to start using it as the frontline machine again! I peiced things together all last season with the anticipation of buying a NEW ztr first thing this year. Those plans were dashed by the new-used truck I had to buy to replace the Ford I had...

Sorry to vent, reply with your tales if you like! I'm going to go tommorow to the dealer with my old machine and see what kind of a "deal" I could possibly get. I'm solo and looking at about 50 hours of cutting a week. (not including all the extra stuff) I have NO time for breakdowns!

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Jason and sorry to hear of trouble this early. We just mowed a couple of small ones today and this is our second day without a snow storm first thing in the morning:laugh: We check and service everything too but I'm not betting that something won't bite me in the ass directly.:cry:

3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Seems like it is always something to fix. I took the box truck in for new tires last week...$712. Held out as long as I could. Told em to check brakes... New brakes all around and wheel cylinders,,, Total cost including tires $2300.. 5 days in the shop also:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
    :cry:

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said on here weeks ago.... seems like it is always something.

Something needing fixed
    Something needing replaced
    Or some new item to buy

And anymore, it so dang hard to get things done, or get them done right that you just about have to do it yourself these days. For instance, I just did a clutch job on my truck that was a MAJOR job, and one that I'd ordinarly NEVER do in a million years myself. But with it already down for weeks and the season opener fast approaching... well what else can you do?

Now that I have the trans back in, it has mysteriously developed an internal noise. Nothing to do with the clutch. I guess it just didn't like being out of the truck. So now I'm sleeping on that one and trying to contemplate what might be causing that....

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is kinda the reason that I never winterize my grass mowing equipment. I change the oil, air filters, change hydro oil etc. but I do run them about every 2 weeks and move them around. I find that equipment that is put away and not run or moved for several months tends to develop problems while in storage.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto to RM's approach ...

7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

If you are REALLY getting 50hrs. a week cutting, then I would say you would be able to purchase a new ZTR. Or do you mean overall 50 hrs is what YOU put in with everything that has to be done?

8. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Wow Jason, that really sucks man. At least you have a back up mower to use. So there is a little light at the end of your gloomy tunnel. Time to start saving up to make the big investment on your new front line machine though. Good luck!

Tim

9. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Thats the way to do it,

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, trust me. I ran everything every week or 2 all winter, if you can even call what we had a "winter". Iv'e always done it that way, I just add stabilizer to the fuel just in case...