1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Started to buy some equipment for the season today

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by merrimacmill, Mar 19, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Well I went down to MB tractor today to the landscapers show, and made the first big investment towards going into the grounds maintenance business. We bought a 2008 Exmark Metro 48 inch walkbehind, grass gobbler, and a redmax HTZ2401 hedge trimmer. Yesterday I bought a 5X10 open landscape trailer from a friend.

For those who don't know, we're a property management company, and have decided to go into this business. We already have quite a bit of equipment, but this is what we needed to really get things going right.

I have pictures of the hedge trimmer now. But I'm picking up the mower on tuesday. So I'll post it when I get it.

Plaza 012.jpg

Plaza 011.jpg
  2. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

sweet i love new equipment lol
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck with it!
  4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice hedge clippers, I look forward to seeing more pictures
  5. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes LawnSite Member

merrimacmill does Mb Tractor sell redmax equipment.Because i am in the market for a new blower and the dealers up here in maine are just plain A**holes.I have always thought mb only sold echo and stihl.

6. merrimacmill

MB sells redmax. It looks like they sell mostly redmax and echo. I'm not sure I saw any stihl. Everyone was buying redmax when I was there, and I bought redmax because we already have 2 redmax trimmers and I am very happy with them.

I got kind of pi$$ed today with them though. I went in about 2 weeks ago and looked at mowers. The exmark metro 48 inch was $2,990 and the 36 inch was $2790. I know because I wrote it down at the time. So I went in yesterday and the SAME mower is priced at $3199. And with the big "sale" they were raving about for monthes, it was $3011. I was telling the sales man about how I'm positive it was less before. He continued to assure me it wasn't. So then I stop in today, the day after the sale, and the mower is priced at $2,999. Its only 12 dollar difference from what I paid but the principal of raising prices for a sale, then selling the same thing cheaper after the sale really ticked me off. It was a pretty sneaky thing to pull as far as I'm concerned.

I was walking out the door about to let the whole thing go, and the secretary goes, is there anything else I can help you with, and I was like ya and explained the whole thing to her and she got the sales manager out there to talk about it. So the sales manager starts showing me price lists saying that the real price is $3199. Then he told a worker to take the sign for $2,999 off the machine and said that the price was wrong.

At first I was pretty ticked off and if it wasn't for those ecs controls, I would have taken back the check and gone down to another dealer i know and bought a bobcat. I honestly don't know whos right in this. Part of me thinks they're jerking me and everyone else around, and the other part of me thinks it was a mistake. I don't know. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a mistake.. I'm not bashing them at all, they seem like a pretty serious dealership, but what do you guys think of this??
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Merrimac- I think they were jerking everybody. I would be pissed also. I would of stopped the deal right there.

Kind of like the local Walker dealer here. I really want a walker, but he looked me in the eye and lied to me. He is also an LCO, and he told me "I dont even bid for XXX properties, they go to cheap." A couple days later I found out HE is the one that gets almost all of that property managers companies.

Long story short, I am buying exmark because I can't trust the walker dealer. Sucks that I really want a walker. Hopefully exmark comes out with a high dump for the navigator soon.
  8. merrimacmill

I'm also in the same situation, I would have loved to bought a deere, but the deere dealer around here is AWFUL. I always said the next compact tractor I would buy from mb, but I'm not so sure now. But I really have no other option now. Around here its deere or kubota, rosencrantz or MB.
  9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I dont understand how guys can run a dealership and have a company at the same time? Isnt running his shop taking up all of his time?
  10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

merrimac - i think youll be pritty happy with the new metro, i have a 2006 48" exmark metro with the ECS controls -- we mow about 30 lawns a week not many but enought to keep it working, we also do cleans-up in the spring and fall with it, its really a good commercial mower at a low price, ive had mine 2 seasons now and its held up fine, i bought it for $2,999 from dons power supply in peabody, they really treat you right there, and have a great service dept!

by the way where is this MB place you buygear at??wouold like to know thanks!