1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

starter boost relay kits--what are they?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Jun 23, 2006.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Lately I've run across what are termed "starter booster relay kits", or words to that effect. These seem to be a relay, inserted in series with the starter solenoid.

Are they to boost a weak solenoid? Don't see how they could boost a dragging starter. If they are to boost a weak solenoid, how does this happen?
  2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I previewed the above reply before posting it and the URL was like 3 full lines long, so if the link does not work let me know.
  4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello , starter relay is usally installed to supply full batt voltage to solenoid windings.The reason for doing so is, original wiring is suffering from voltage drop therefore not suppling full voltage to solenoid windings and effecting pull in operation of solenoid plunger.The relay is wired "pwr side" fused supply from batt ,output to original solenoid spade."siginal-coil side"input wire,from original loom ,output wire to earth.Ther are exeptions to this rule , check with auto elec . tomo