Starter circuit problem on Kohler 25 HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jet boater, Dec 16, 2000.

1. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

I posted on this forum some when it was on the previous site and posted under DTM65 or D. Tom. It's been a while since I've been here.

Anyway, some of you may remember that I have a 1999 Scag Turf Tiger with a 25 HP Kohler.

Occasionally when I start it, I turn the key and I hear a relay click in the control panel and I think down by the starter, but nothing happens. I can turn the ignition off then try to start again and most the time it starts normally. Recently though this has been getting worse.

I've done the typical of cleaning battery terminals and making sure the battery is fully charged, but this does not appear to have anything to do with it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
    D. Tom

PS - I made a OCDC for the Scag this Summer using a motorcycle brake lever and cable. Works pretty good. I'll have to get a digital camera sometime and post a pix. :)

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome back D. Tom. :)

I'm not familiar with a Scag, but it could be either the relay or a solenoid that is dirty or bad. Might be bad advice, but I wanted to welcome you back. Stick around, this forum is growing big time. :)

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I know in my owners manual Kohler recommends the starter be removed and professionally disassembled and cleaned each season,probably to keep the grass out.Maybe its time to have it done.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Scag Super Z does that sometimes. I actuate the electric blade toggle switch, with the key on, then try to start it and it usually cranks. I can't explain it but it works for me.

Homer

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your turf tiger has a relay built into its wiring harness.
    it is located under the control panel.(under your throttle and choke controls)
    i would check this out.
    it is a sort of safety device,it is the brain box for the safety relays. if it is defective it may not be allowing the unit to start, thinking one of the safety circuits is open.

6. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

It sounds like the solenoid, I would switch the solenoid, It would probably be $12 not much money to spend if it wasn't the problem

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Can you describe your OCDC? I would love to make one for my Scag.

Your starting problems may be related to one of the Operator Presence Control switches. Maybe the one under the seat. You can disconnect the white wire from the wiring harness and bypass the safety switches. Give it a shot.

8. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. This gives me a number of things to check.

As for the Scag ODBC, I bought a motorcycle brake lever and heavy duty cable. Mounted the lever to my right control lever. (Had to cut some foam out.)

For the plate, I started out with the Scag mulching plate and beat the hell out of it until I got it flat enough. Then I welded some flat bar hinges to it so it would hinge off of the holes that the discharge chute normally mounted to.

I welded up a bracket that held the end of the "brake" cable over the top of one of the hinge points...so whenever I pull in on the brake handle, the plate would plop down into the closed position. (Don't even have to take my hands off the control lever!) I put a big momma spring on it so it would go back up by itself. (This is where I need the digital camera.)

There's some improvements I want to make to it, but for the first go around, it works pretty good.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the ODBC help. Sounds like a good idea.