starter dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Aug 18, 2013.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a small dump. I've wanted a trash style truck for some time but I'm recycling more and more on site versus haul off.

Would use it for small jobs, road patching, hauling wood chips and mulch, some stumps, and spoil or rock haul off. I don't have my CDL, yet, and get good rates from my tandem operators but it's not as convenient to schedule them for small jobs or short notice. I also have almost 300 acres of family property that I can move materials to and from and around, as needed, on my own time.

From those with experience, what are the thoughts on a truck like this:
    [​IMG]
    specs:

2007 International 4300
    total weight capacity is 25,500
    Engine DT-455, 210hp
    Automatic Transmission, PS/AC/HB
    Yellow Truck
    WB 152
    tires 22.5, spring suspension
    Millage is 183,141
    $30,000 plust tt&i *Finance Available after approval.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a pre maxxforce DT? If it is those are pretty decent engines. Should be just a single turbo egr engine. Egr coolers leak internally on them. That's about $4000-$5000 to replace both but other than that solid engines. Auto tranny might be a little sluggish but not to bad.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I have that truck in a 2002 but I'm looking for a CDL truck with that style dump. In terms of trucking, you will get overloaded quick with that truck. There's just no way around it. I would get a 33k truck. A CDL isn't hard to get. Doing mine this winter.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

That truck will be a major pain hauling stumps. Need a flatbed dump so you can make the sides you need. Also I would look for a F650/750 with a Cummins. 2000-2007. The internationals are fine but they have multiple known electrical problems. I would recommend a 750 it will come with air brakes and haul 10 tons. The cab will be like your truck now. The engine can be worked on most anywhere.

6. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

If you have hills than 210 hp sucks with a load but is dooable, as mentioned its very easy to overload it.
    I think a rolloff or hooklift is much much more versatile than a dump especially for the uses you mention...

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say the same thing. I had a 16' bed with contractor sides that fold up about 18" high. Great for stumps. The tailgate could be set to drop down like a pickup tailgate or dump like a regular dump truck. Very flexible bed. You can make tall sides out of 1" CDX for mulch or lighter material.

I would recommend not getting a single axle. However if you are set on it, get a 33K gvw. There is no point in anything less.

The costs are not much different but the capacity is much better in a tandem axle. I found that almost every job I did with my single axle took way longer than it should have due to excessive trips with the truck. Consider a tandem with a demo body. That will give you a high lift end gate to dump stumps. Much more capacity and it gives you the option of trucking for others if you so chose.

30k will buy a lot of truck, I paid 36K for 4 axle Mack with 460 hp 18 speed and 280K miles.

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It is a big step too go too a Tandem if it is not a haul truck 80% of the time or your not pulling large loads. Most of the time debris will out volume the truck before it will overload it. I know for Yellowdog this will be a a "Jack of all trade " truck for him same as me so I cannot imagine driving a Tandem everywhere for work. Thats why most who have a tandem always have a second truck for the majority of there work and quite often you see single axle trucks being the only truck contractors have.

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

One of the reasons I didn't want a tandem is my hauling guy is always getting stuck. He's been trucking a long time and I think he's a good driver but here in the hills and valleys it's often tight. One of the reasons I run a flatbed truck and a short trailer is so I can get into job sites without having to park a half a mile away. I've found the same problems with the taller and longer tandems on many of these winding roads and under shorter tree canopies.

On the contractor dumps, will the tail gate folded down hold up to a 1500 lb stump rolling off it? I like the barn doors but they are not as readily available down here. Hooklift is a lot of complicated extra components and the price appears to reflect that. I can't make any money hauling brush without a grapple truck. Just can't stuff enough into a container or truck to justify doing that versus just taking the chipper or mulcher.
    A 33k truck would be an F750 size?

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Got you on the tandem. You know your situation better than anyone else, just thought I would throw that out there.

The bed I had was an Omaha Standard. The tail gate was super heavy duty, held up with chains. I dumped concrete out of it all the time, never an issue.