1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Starter motor not working on Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by dschell, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler Z model 926311 with a Kawasaki 680FHV. When I turn the key switch, the solenoid clicks a single time but the starter motor does not run. If I bypass the solenoid and connect the starter directly to the batter with a jumper cable, the starter does work. I have replaced the solenoid but it still clicks a single time and the starter motor does nothing. I have checked all three fuses on the control panel and they are all good

Appreciate any suggestions on what could be the problem.

Thanks, Dave

2. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

Trying to get my Hustler Z running again - when I turn the key, the solenoid single clicks but the starter is dead. I checked voltage and I have 12 volts at the battery side terminal of the solenoid when the key is in the "off" and "run" positions but the voltage drops to 0 at the battery side solenoid terminal when I move the key to the "start" position. Not sure how that could happen.

Is this a problem with a relay?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave Schell

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to check the relays under your control panel, there are 3 of them.

Pj

4. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

I have replaced the solenoid and all 3 relays and the problem still persists. I have strong voltage to battery-side terminal of the solenoid when the key is in off and run positions, but once I move the key to the start position, the solenoid voltage drops to 0 (even on the battery side terminal of the solenoid).

This is a mystery to me since there is a big red cable directly from the battery to the solenoid. How or what can effectively break that connection by turning the ignition key to "start"? I can hear the switch on the solenoid activating when I turn the key to start, but the voltage drops to zero.

Any suggestions on other things to test?

Thanks for the assistance,
    Dave

5. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

Mystery solved - even though the battery was putting out 12 volts, the amperage must have been too low for the starter when routed through the solenoid.

6. urban

urban LawnSite Member
    from OK

so, what exactly did you do to repair it?

7. dschell

dschell LawnSite Member

I only had to replace the battery to repair it - that got the starter motor working and the engine turning over. Lesson learned: Amperage is as important as volts in measuring the condition of a battery.

But my problems are significantly bigger - the engine is locking up - bent push rods, broken piston rods, etc. Looks like I had a catatrosphic engine failure.

See my new thread on "Kawasaki 23HP engine rebuild" :)