Starter Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fivestar, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

I have a 54 in. JD walkbehind with a 17 hp KW engine that I`m
    having starter problems with. I replaced the key switch,cleaned
    all the connections and it worked fine for a while but the problem
    is like my mother-in-law (back). This mower also has a new battery. Sometimes I can go out to my shop and turn the key and it will fire right up and sometimes the selinoid on the starter just clicks. I can tap the starter and sometimes it will fire. Brushes
    in the starter bad???? Any ideas???? :confused: :angry:

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

In my experience with starters , I found once you start to tap on them to get them to work its usualy time for a new one. If you or someone you know can rebuild it, then I would go that route.

3. You answered your own question.

Tap on starter = bad starter.

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with a brand new Turf Tiger. Tapped on the starter and it fired right up. Turned out the wire from the battery to the starter was bad. 90% chance your starter has crapped out, but take the positive lead with you on the way to the shop, and let them test it for you.
    Bill Craig!

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

most likely the brushes are bad.... some starters can be rebuilt some can't.... I opt to get a new one over a rebuilt one!NaTe

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Is there a solenoid right on the starter? If so measure the voltage going to the small terminal while the starter is failing. If the voltage is below 7.5 volts go to your John Deere dealer and get a relay kit they have for the Kohlers with a solenoid shift starter. It will wire up the same way.

7. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

Jman is the WINNER!!!! Thanks again.

FiveStar