starter rebuild question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scenic Lawnscape, May 10, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

i have a starter off of a 20 hp kohler magnum, well anyways i had to take it apart to spray the bendix becuase it was sticking, now i cant get the brushes to stay in there little slots to put it back together. ant ideas, i just had it rebult and they took like 2 min to put it back together. what is the trick

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

slide the brushes out ward and install a paper clip to keep them in place as you slide the bruch holder cap on the commutator

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

oh, are you going to have fun!!!
    OK if it is a UTE starter there is a tool you can make. I do not thank the 20 HP uses the UTE though. I have to clean Kohler starters all the time on Walkers. Now here is how I do them. Put every thing back but the brush end cap. Now put the starter in a vise with the brush end up. Put the brushes in but leave out the springs. Then very carefully put the spring in starting with the end toward the brush then snap it in the slot. Bend it in a "U" shape. Now you may have a different type starter than I am thank of. If none of this makes any sense then maybe you need to post a picture of the starter. Kohler uses several types of starters and now even use one made in Korea that uses plastic snap caps to hold the brushes in place. I thank that Kohler has some older books on line that may help. I will see if i can get you that URL.

4. fixer67

I tried to post this last time but it failed .

[​IMG]

5. fixer67

6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

i got it back together, but know when i put the starter on the mower it just spins doesnt lift up the bendix, but if i take it off and bench test it it lifts and spins no problem any ideas

7. fixer67

Check your "over-run clutch" It is part of the bendix. It should turn one way so when the engine starts it does not hang up the bendix but not trun the other way. If it is turning both ways the the bendix will have to be replaced. To test the over-run clutch you will have to take the starter back apart,sorry. Then take the bendix off the shaft. With two big pliers or channel locks grab the bottom and top and turn them. It should not turn one way but with a little force turn the other way. Check out the post on Free Kohler service manuals.