1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starter rope on PG Ultra

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Oct 7, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

Broke the starter rope on my '04 Ultra. Got a replacement rope. Is there a quick n easy way to replace it? Looks like the housing is riveted to the engine.

Am I missing something?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know what an ultra is but....I would guess that you would have to take the top metal housing off the engine. The should only require taking out a few metal screws.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My new Briggs on my weed killer pump also has a riveted starter. This is nuts. Eventually, I am planning on grinding off the rivets, replaceing the rope and putting in new pop rivits.
    I suggest you take a look at the commercial lawn mowing forum--those guys have a lot more motors. Bigger forum.
  4. I had to take my PG to a small motor mechanic to get the starter rope repaired. It was more difficult then my skills could cope with.
  5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

You really have to wonder why so many guys buy PG"S.
    They sucked you in with all the fancy marketing?

I'd like $100 for every problem i read about them on here.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

even with all their minor problems the PG has it sure beats walkin!
  7. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Take the top cover(blower housing) off the engine and drill the rivets out. With a decent drill, it's easy. Rewind your rope and replace with stainless screws and nuts or you can use extruded nuts, which is like a clip.
    Indy is right, they do have their minor problems but who wants to walk all day??? Not me....
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

pg is improving.. they ditched the briggs engine and put in the honda... the owner of z-spray used to work in this industry and knows not to use a POS product like briggs. if you have questions just call PG they have somebody their to answer ALL your questions, never had a problem.
  9. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

You don't have to drill out any rivets. There are a few bolts to take off the motor housing. You can call them to find out right where they are. Sure it is a bit more of a pain but there is a way to do it with out altering anything.
  10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I've talked to tech support there, and they are extremely helpful.

Also, PG used to and still does work in the industry. The original PermaGreen was built for their own use in the lawn app business. They then decided it was something that others might use, so they made them commercially.

Anyway, I got the thing fixed. Found the screws that hold the shroud in place. Done in about half an hour.

Thanks for the replies!