Starter rope on PG Ultra

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eruuska, Oct 8, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

I originally posted this over in the Pesticide forum, but maybe you people are more, shall we say, mechanically inclined?:weightlifter:

Broke the starter rope on my '04 Ultra. Got a replacement rope. Is there a quick n easy way to replace it? Looks like the housing is riveted to the engine.

TIA,

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do you have any pics of it? its probably those star screws and not actual rivets. pics would help out a whole lot. thanks.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Repair is done, machine works fine now.

Yes, they're actual rivets -- pop rivets actually. However, closer inspection revealed screws to remove to get the shroud off. After that the fix was easy.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah, pull the shroud. Kinda a pain but not too bad.

The newer ones with the Honda's were alot easier. They have holes in the frame to get to the bolts that hold the recoil on. Only problem is Honda went and redesigned the recoil. So you can still get the bolts out but to get the recoil out you need to remove some engine bolts and rotate the engine a bit...otherwise there is not enough room to get the recoil out between the cup on the engine and the frame of the machine.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Actually it is possible without taking anything apart...if the rope is worn... but not yet broken. Pull the rope out to the limit. Hold it in position by sticking a screwdriver into the starter. Find the knot and cut out a fin on the air grating. Grab the knot with needle nose pliers. Pull it out. Cut it off and glue a new rope to the old. (Glue gun). Gently pull the new rope through the pulley by pulling on the old rope. Tie a new knot and reinstall your handle.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

No thanks on cutting up the recoil.:nono:

Also by the time they get to me they are lucky if they still have the handle that they were holding when the rope broke.