Starter sounding funny

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

The starter on my 17kaw(280hrs) makes a strange noise.
    It will turn over but after about 1.2-2 seconds it maks a high pich squeal.:confused: It does start, Any ideas?

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

bendix?

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

May be the brushes going out. Take it to a armature/starter rebuild shop. The can rebuild these for 1/2 the price of a new one.

4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Hoss,
    Ya think? less than 300 hrs

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree...bendix.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My 17 Kawi was doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they said it was dirty and cleaned it. It was fine for a while but now it's doing it again. I wonder if it is covered under the Kawi engine warranty if a new starter is needed or if it needs to be rebuilt? Mine is an 03 TTHP.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

could it be the battery seems like every time the weather cools down I lose a battery. my dc does that I can short the starter and it will fire and works fine when it gets a good charge.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Could be. My old HP had it happen recently. The guy said that if the battery gets low it wears on them pretty hard.

9. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

My 17 Hp kawi does it too. It's the gear hanging up in the flywheel and the engine driving the starter.

Usually just a cleaning and fresh lubricant to help it move freely

10. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Edgewater

Ive got the same mower as you and its also doing the same thing. What am I to clean and lube. Ive already cleaned air filter and changed oil about 10 hrs ago. I filled the zerts as well. Mine has 315 hrs. What else did you do to fix the problem. Mine started doing it about 50 hrs ago(before it got cold here in TX)