starter spins

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 1, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

When i try and stary my honda rer mower, it sounds like the starter is just spinning and not making any contact with the flywheel or whatever its called, im trying to sell this thing, what could be wrong with it? thanks

mike

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Would this happen to be a 3000 series mid-engine (engine right under the seat). ?

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

no, its a honda rear engine riding mower,

4. Restrorob

Funny I have never seen a Honda brand mower with the engine all the way to the rear, But we havn't sold Honda mowers in 10 yrs. either. It sounds like the starter drive is stuck on the shaft or don't laugh but I have seen this a few times, Customers had installed a new battery and reversed the cables and the starter turned backwards.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Can happen with a Kohler too. And dont' you know it's on a freakin CubCadet lawn tractor where you can bust your knuckles up trying to unwedge the battery to turn it around. But hey, it's better than replacing a part.

6. Restrorob

Yeah, I got a couple knuckles. Now I put vise-grips on each post to lift them out, But don't do this while sweating. :hammerhead:

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Another method, provided you are using a battery with bolt through posts.. is to use a true rubber bungee cord (one of the black ones) with the metal hooks on the end. Slip the hooks in and use them to pull up while guiding with your other hand. This also works nice for carrying batteries as long as the posts aren't so corroded that they snap off.

8. Restrorob

Thanks...
    Thats a neat idea there, I'm gonna get one to carry batteries from the parts room out into the shop for install.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I know a man that did that trick and got a big surprise. The black rubber started to smoke and burn. He removed the battery and set it down and just left the bungee on the battery. After a few minute it started to smoke and burning. It turns out the rubber bungee was made out ot conductive rubber. A second bungee was tested and read about 1000 ohms per foot. They make most of these things out of scrap and all kinds of rubber gets in the mix. In fact the bungee that holds the battery in some MTD mowers can kill the battery if it touches the POS battery post.

10. Restrorob

Hummmmm, Gonna have to check that out first.