Starter Sticking on Kawi Engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Dec 19, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Have a John Deere F710 it has a 17hp Air cooled Kawi engine. Im using it this winter for snowblowing, except the starter sticks. As i turn the key the starter just clicks, the battery is fine, or so I know, it has been sitting in a garage waiting for snow to arive.
    What could be the problem with the starter? Is there anything I can do like spray something in the starter so it doesnt get sticky. We've had this problem before on a old Kohler motor and we used a hammer to make the starter turn over, thats not the option this time around obviously. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. mklawnman

Anyone have a guess or suggestion that i could do?
    Matt

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably have some dirt in the bendix. Take the starter off, you're going to have to take it apart ... be VERY careful not to lose any parts (brushes, etc.) Get some WD-40 and clean, clean, clean. Some three-in-one oil would help, too. I had the same things happen on my 19 HP Kaw.

4. mklawnman

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I thought maybe i could go do that but didnt know how that would work. Probably will work on that after the holiday when its a bit warmer out.
    Thanks
    Merry Christmas
    Matt

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We have some Deeres and this is a common problem with the Kaw starters. usually caused by; loose connection at starter, bad contacts inside of selonoid. Also make sure batt has a good charge. The selonoid is nothing more than an electro magnate. It needs good amperage to draw the the parts together and push the bendix/starter drive out to engage the flywheel. If the bendix/starter drive is extending, but the starter is not rotating, then this maybe a sign of either bad brushes,a burnt out armature in the starter or that something is preventing the armature from turning, ie. a bad nose bearing or brush end cap bushing, or something inside has come lose and jammed the armature. These starters are very common and most any auto rebuild shop will test and give free estimate. Usually a simple selonoid or brush replacement will be a mere fraction of what JD will want for a new one.

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

It may very well be as simple as the fact that the Brushes are out of alinement?

Just take it apart as suggested and recondition the lot.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try the starter solenoid, i replaced mine every year for the same reason, then i went and bought a good one, spend the extra money and get it from a ford dealer, stay away from the the cheap auto zone junk!

8. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

check you ground!

use jumper cables and go right to the starter and see if it cranks over for you. I have an old JD that I use for city work when mowing abandon houses and the grass is 4 feet tall. I bought one of those booster boxes w/ the battery jumper system and even an air compressor. That seems to turn my mower over every time.

9. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

I agree with most of the above posts. The WD 40 should help. If you are still having problems, you may want to check on the availability of the starter before yours totally craps out. I've had to replace starters on my 17 & 23 Kawi's, and both had to be ordered from Japan and took 3-5 weeks to come in.:rolleyes:
    Maybe you don't have that problem in your area, but every dealer I went to in town told me the same thing. Good luck with the starter. SCOTT

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with Scott.......I waited a week for a Kawi starter this summer for my 25 HP. I was told they are special, only from Kawi. Dust gets in them rather easy and binds it up. Same thing with a Kohler 20 HP on a Walker. The dustier the conditions are the quicker they jam. I usually change around 400 to 500 hours. You can tell when it starts to drag when you engage the starter.

Gene