Starting 2nd crew...how to pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

This year I'm branching out and using 2 trucks instead of one. This will put me in an awkward position of paying people who are unsupervised.

For those of you who are experienced with this, what's the best way to pay these guys? It's not that I dont TRUST them.......however my gut is telling me that I should pay by percentage so I don't have to worry about any lolligagging around or taking long lunches.

Is paying by percentage a good idea? If so, what's a reasonable percentage? We mow mostly residential lawns in the $25-$30 range. My unsupervised crew of 3 can probably cut 35-42 lawns per day.

I would like to hear how others deal with this. Thanks, Tom

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I went the % route years and years ago...think it was 30% to a single employee who I supplied with a truck, trailer, and all the necessary mowers, equipment, etc. Now, I just pay everyone hourly and carry a whip.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done a bit of thinking on this, nothing set in stone.

But I want every job tracked, at first I'll do it myself. Mark down start time, finish time square feet etc. It would take 5 minutes total a day and maybe 5 more to input it into excel. I want to know my numbers to help me learn.

If this practice in known by the guy you have supervised, and you give a route to him that is already timed, and if he's halfway responsible then you should still be able to track time. Check up on their work from time to time..

I've also been toying with the Idea of a GPS unit.

Just Idea's you understand I haven't put any of them to the test. I'm just expanding into lawn care. In window cleaning I have never had an unsupervised crew, I've always been there.