Starting a blade sharpening business

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jabirt1, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jabirt1

jabirt1 LawnSite Member

I currently work for a small OPE sales/service shop. We sharpen mower blades and chainsaw chains--about 700 blades/year. I'm thinking of starting my own sharpening business on the side. I'd sub the shop's blades and chains, plus advertise and run a pickup/delivery service to local hardware stores, etc. I'd also sharpen hedgetrimmer blades, then maybe add other sharpening services in the future.

Has anyone tried this? Any advice--equipment, advertising, getting more customers, etc.?

Thanks!

2. Mike's Lawn Care

Mike's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Was Wondering The Same Thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

What is your customer base? If the local shop is only sharpening 700 blades a year then you are not gonna make a living off it.

4. jabirt1

jabirt1 LawnSite Member

No, I'm not planning on making a living now, although I would like to increase that number. I'm only looking at something to add a little income and give my son something to do in the summer when he gets older.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t quit your job:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. mallio

mallio LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Done that! Had problems with customers bring welded blades and bent blades and still wanted them sharpened.Had some commercial cutters bring me blades welded in a cross still wanted them sharpened and balanced. I wouldn't sharpen anything that was welded. Had trouble cleaning blades fast enough. I wasn't selling replacement blades. Only about 50% of the blades i got could actually be sharpened. I think it is a good deal for lawn equipment dealers though.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Make it mobil and meet lco at sites. Sell em new blades to replace the ones that cant be sharpened.

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

Please consider Magna-Matic sharpening and balancing equipment in your possible endeavor. We have had many landscapers purchase our equipment, and then begin a sharpening service as an additional business because of the productivity of our equipment.

www.magna-matic.com

Thank you,

9. mallio

mallio LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Yes it probably would be good to sell replacement blades. I basically started as a service to other cutters most of which buy there new blades on line. Most order enough new blades at the start of the season, so they wern't in the market to buy. Then you have the hassle of inventory and such, didn't have many homeowners off the street.

10. mallio

mallio LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Most LCO around here own several sets of blades for there equipment. So the regular customers i have bring me 10 to 20 blades at a time. I sharpen and balance the ones that are good and return the junk ones. I don't think i would want to put my equipment in a trailer you would have to have a big generator and lights to make it work. Unless your customers would have a 50A 220 volt plug in for your trailer. You have to have a vacuum set up to take care of the dust i just don't think this type of equipment suites well to being knocked around in a trailer. You would have to level the balancer in order to make it work every time you moved the trailer. I have seen some LCO carry sharpener or small grinders in their trailer and just touch up blades.