?Starting a Bobcat/Skidsteer service?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jhanes, Apr 1, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of buying an old skid.. have you thought about trying to find the specific work you are looking for and just renting until you figure out if you will be able to afford a skid? And i would stay away from old rentals. They always seem very used.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

2. jhanes

jhanes LawnSite Member

Thanks, many have mentioned it and it seems the way to go untill i see a deffinite need or stability in it.

3. jhanes

jhanes LawnSite Member

Thank You!!! I at one time looked into getting in an Operator Engineeres Union. Do you have to travell alot?

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

You can definitely rent for a long time before actually needing a skid of your own. Don't rush to make huge equipment purchases. What happens when no work comes in for a month or so and you've still got payments on your stuff. Makes it harder. Also, I wouldn't buy anything too old. All skids have some hard hours on them.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I strongly advise another look. I've yet to travel more than 50 miles from the house but it is quite possible to roam around the state. I've just been kinda lucky for the last 5 years. Travel never lasts forever, though, and I chose to live somewhat close to the large majority of work in the state.

6. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

do you need to strap equipment down when its in the bin?

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

When I went into business I tried to throw a wide net to "catch all" the world. Nearly 20 years later I still do a lot of services but found that the phone rang off the hook for all the little jobs that didn't pay. I
    Focusing has helped me make a name for myself in my little area. I don't travel far and I'm home by dinner every night but that took quite a bit of focus and learning to say "no" to drilling 2 post holes just because I own an auger.
    I would encourage you to learn as much as you can while you are just starting out but Junior's advice about having a specialty will set you apart from the run of the mill bobcat service guys who are all over Craigslist. When the economy is down, everybody and their brother is in business whether they have the skills or not. Just go to youtube and look "brush mulching." You will see absolute horror movies at one end of the spectrum and guys that are a natural extension of their machinery at the other end of the spectrum. I think that focus and repetitive practice makes the difference between average and good. You will naturally learn how to do a lot of things but following Junior's advice will help you achieve expert status sooner in that line of work that excites you. Good luck.

8. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

By law yes. Most people dont , i do. Think about the angle the machines are on when raising and lowering the bins, and any possible movement while driving.

I had to add a custom setup to my bins to tie the machines down, while at the same time allowing it not to get damaged when dumping concrete or asphalt.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Any pics of how you did this? Always wondered how its done without having big d rings getting mashed up in the box
    Posted via Mobile Device