1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Bulk purchase CO-OP

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by garydale, Feb 20, 2008.

1. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I was approached about particapating in bulk purchasing with area lawn guys to lower fert. prices.

Will it work?
    Anyboby tried it?
    Any tips/suggestions?
    I would like to get some input.

IRRIG8TION LawnSite Member

Works great when all pay Bill on time.. It has to be equitable for all involved, and you need to have a signed agreement. Symbiot did the same thing nation wide, and it worked great. They were full of themselves, and tried to put to many pokers into the fire at once and they failed because of that. The Co-Op part of the deal was great. Like John Deere Landscape pricing was automatically set to Gold, We got x cents off per gallon of gas from BP dependent on how much we purchased nation wide every month. We usually ended up with a check for about 20 cents per gallon back at the end of the year. They also tried to get national companies like Kmart to sign national contracts for lawn care etc.. That is where they started to go wrong. They were trying to make cash off our bids by turning them all in as one to corporate hq.

Co-Op purchasing programs are used by local and state industry associations all the time too, so check with your landscape ass. etc in your area..

Just my 2 cents