1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a business in lawn care!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by alpine692003, Jan 14, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

god, I can't wait to get rolling with my business.

I cannot stand my employer, everytime I step through the gates my day just drags, I am depressed, I hate going to work...

This is the worst job I've ever had..

Everyday I look forward to my lawn care / landscaping business. I know it will be rough for the 1st few years but I will stick with it and work at this place, unless my business rolls..

I dont know about you guys, but i really hate my job .. :cry: :cry:
  2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really want to own your own business, go for it. But if you're only doing it because you hate your current job, beware. I talked to a guy the other day that turned his hobby of building hot rods into a job, and according to him, now it's just a job! The grass is alwasy greener - until you get across the fence.
    Good luck with it.

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Lawncare is easy when your cutting your own grass, but after cutting 40 lawns a day Its hard work make sure your up to it before you jump in. Ask quesions everybody here is willing to help

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Weatherman, you are cutting 40 lawns a day? you must have multiple crews with 72 inch riders? how do you do it?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The grass isn't always greenier. Hating your job doesn't mean you can run a business. Just be careful. Sometimes people think changing jobs or careers will make them happy only to find out it doesn't. Usually they are unhappy inside and try to find ways to be happy. Changing careers isn't always going to fix that.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

With 25-dollar lawns and a 3-man crew you can easily do 40-50 lawns a day with out having a 72-inch ztr. My all time record was for my exemployer I ran a 4-man crew that day and cut 60 lawns. One ztr and 2 walk behinds.

When you move up to 1-acre lawns then you top out in the low 20s. This season my best day was 36 lawns 1 walk behind and my 60-inch lazer 2 men plus myself. But a lot of that is the distance between my cuts as my list thickens up and the drive time goes down those numbers will climb very easily.
  7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

40 lawns a day and done by 6pm is a peice of cake with the right equipment and the right demographics. For Example I have 1 neighbor hood where I have 20 lawns then the neighbor hood less then a quarter mile away I have 19 lawns. I have done these lawns with a 2 man crew in 1 day I think it took around 10 hours to finish some of the lawns took 10 mins others took 15mins Now I have a crew of 3 working and I think it takes them around 8 hours to complete the 2 neighborhoods. and thats not bad profit for 1 day
  8. BIG

BIG LawnSite Member

New Guy Question Alert!!!!!
    I'm a one man show with a 32" walkbehind. I'm concentrating on a "well-to-do" neighbourhood in my area, about 2 square miles. While performing a mow, trim and blow, how many can I expect to get done in 8 hours?

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Question for Weatherman, and Kelly's Landscaping. are you guys including edjing and blowing in these numbers? I can see doing just the mowing, if so, that is truly remarkable even with the Z riders and multiple crews, that means your guys are still averaging about 20 lawns per person..my next question for you guys is this, do you guys have a set price per 1/2 acre, 1 acre etc.. i am assuming you guys do the 1/2 acre yards or less for $25, let me know so I know if my prices are in the right range.. thanks
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I do trim edge and I’m real particular on blowing in fact I feel I do some of the best work in my area. If your doing 3 per hour on a 10 hour day its 30 lawns if you do 4 its 40 lawns I have more then my share of 10 min lawns I even have a couple 5 min lawns but most average 15-20 mins a pop. I do seem to have half of my list as bigger lawns the 1-acre guys and they tend to be 25-40 mins each. Depends what your cutting there are times I’m barely getting 1 per hour cut and there are times I’m cutting 8-10 an hour. The money is still green and I'm not gona thumb my nose at some one for having a smaller lawn.