Starting a business...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rigid rake 2, Feb 23, 2003.

1. rigid rake 2

rigid rake 2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

My partner and I are starting a lawn care business this Summer with hopes of expanding into landscaping, and possbly a nursery as well...I live in a well populated area, and most of the businesses here flourish. I understand the importance of professionalism...I would like some feedback...What are some of the more important criteria for success? What do you think the customer/client will look for before deciding on us for business? Just want feedback..want toread the top reasons for a successful operation..based on others' experiences..thanks..
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do some reasearch on Partnerships. Not many business experts recomend them. If it is a must , reasearch how to set it up so it runs smoothly. Small business books are good. You can read one and partner can read a different one. Good luck!

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only seen a few lawn business's that worked when 2 guys went in together. most bump heads half way through the season, one guys not pulling his weight or does not have the capitol to help with the finances. the ones i have seen work. one does the mowing the other does the landscaping side. hard to say but I have seen life long friends part ways because of a joint venture.
    just my 2 cents
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My brother (younger) and I started out together. We both bought our own equipment that we wanted to use. I opened a checking account to purchase things that we needed on a day to day basis. I would deposit enough to cover expenses and we would split the rest. It was ok for a while. Ended up I was doing ALL the routing, calling, books, driving, talking, pumping gas, and decision making without any help from Lil Bro. It got to the point that he was always wanting to change the work days to fit his schedule (unemployed) and I was the one with a full time job. (3rd shift)
    Finally sold all company items and parted way as a business.
    He is still a great brother thou, just not a good partner in business.
  5. danp

danp LawnSite Member

Starting a business is difficult to start with, add in partnership and it becomes more difficult, but not "doomed", if all the who does what is set in place and followed they can be successful.