starting a company - couple questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lopomon, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lopomon

lopomon LawnSite Member

first off, where did everybody go to get their logo/TM done at? what specific job personnel does this type of work? where did you go to register your company? i already have the papers to send in, but i want some outside advice so i dont miss anything, i will be going LLC.
    secondly, it's winter now. i want jobs this summer so i can finally quit my other landscaping job. the thing is, im strapped for cash right now and i dont have the resources to buy any equipment until i start working. i know alot of ppl fail because they buy all this equipment with no customer base. however, i was thinking of trying to get a small loan/line of credit before i start. im going to start advertising soon, and when i feel like i have a good amount of customers, i will start buying equipment, hopefully before the season begins. good/bad idea?

i believe thats it for now, thanks for any help

2. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Welcome aboard lopo...

1st question - if you do a search for logos and then go to the thread that says, "I'm legal on lawnsite, anybody need a logo. Grits will design one for you if you just give him an idea of what you want. The thread has several examples of his work. Outstanding!!!

2nd question - what equipment are you talking about financing? When I left the lco I was working for I started with just my pickup, some rakes and shovels. I just priced alot of the smaller stuff into jobs and built up some equipment that way. Larger equip (power tampers, skids, dump trailers, etc...) I rented per job and priced that in. If you own the equipment you charge the customer for the use of it anyways. You can find many threads on this site where the debt/no debt debate rages. I'm not saying what's best for you but this worked for me. Just make sure your business is making a profit on top of what you're paying yourself for labor. That way the business can buy tools and equipment instead of it coming out of your pocket. If you price your jobs right and get half down, that half will cover all of your materials for the job plus at least half of your profit, which you can use to buy a needed item or save till the end of the job for that enevitable unforeseen expense. I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.

Shane

3. lopomon

lopomon LawnSite Member

the only thing i would really be looking at financing would be a WB mower, specifically scag. also something small so it can fit in my truck without having me to get a trailer, and back yards, probably a 32 or 36". i would get the blowers, trimmers and everything else with cash. aerators and such i would just rent.

4. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Also check craigslist regularly. There's always stuff on there, 36's, aerators, you name it. Once you save up some cash it's a great way to get used items from guys getting out of the biz

5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont have a lot of money to start up, why would make a financial decision like financing a big mower like a scag?

Don't try to start off so big. Ramping a wb in the back of a truck is a pain in the ass. And the time it takes to set up/take off the ramps, you could be mowing with a 21 that you an easily lift into the back.

I had three customers before I even had a truck or equipment. I spent $800 on homeowner Troybilt junk and worked out a deal with my mother to pay her payments for our old Ford Ranger.

Throughout the year I bought better equipment with cash. That is the way to go, be patient and let your income pay for your equipment. There's no reason to pay interest on something you could have later down the road for less.

Besides, you don't even know how successful you will be. You may think you do, but you really don't. There's no telling what could happen in the next year.

We had to move in he middle of the season last year and I had to drop 40 customers. If I would have financed a mower it would be a real burden.

Its up to you though.

6. DC10

DC10 LawnSite Member

you could also check in on a local sign shop for you logo. it's kinda hard to start a company w/o any tools. check the local paper for mowers. they'll be tons in there by mid march. as far as yards and landscaping jobs. they'll come easy. i bought $4000 dollars of equipment and only had one yard. print some flyers off your computer and pass them out.