1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Crew

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mowin&Coachin, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Mowin&Coachin

Mowin&Coachin LawnSite Member

Guys, I'm new to the business but business is going rather well so and I'm starting to think about starting a crew to help out. Currently, I take care of most of the yards with some help of a partner who helps when he can. I live in the DFW area of Texas and I was wanting some suggestions on getting a crew of probably two guys together to do some of my yards. I teach/coach so when fall comes around my time for mowing will be greatly reduced and I want someone who can take care of my business during this time of the year. I plan on growing anyway to where I will need the crews so I might as well get started now. Please let me know how you all get your crews and how you pay them (hourly or by the yard). You all really helped me out with a previous post so I'm sure I'll get more sound advice. Thanks ahead of time.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It's you business- It's your equipment- It's your customers- It's your properties- It's your money- It's your REPUTATION.

Your employee does not care about any of this. All they will care about is "THEIR MONEY" which is also really yours.
    Advice-- your are about to enter the worse part of this business. Start now as it will take a long time to get the right people. Maybe years. If you need a crew by fall so you can do your "real" job-- well all I got to say is - Good luck with it and have fun.:cry:
    Best advice I ever heard about this --- HIRE SLOW, FIRE FAST!
  3. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

With your teaching and coaching abilities, you are already one up. Develop time and cost effective methods of doing the work and break them into simple to understand systems for them to follow, hold them accountable for their mistakes and praise them for doing a good job....build the winning team that satisfies your target audience and makes you lots of money...that's what it's all about...easy, right? :laugh:
  4. Premierlawns

Premierlawns LawnSite Member

I know that sounds easy, finding the right people, but here's what is working for me. My son is in college and I use him in the summers and his friends that go to school locally. These guys are loving having a job that pays decently, works days and no weekends and keeps them outside. They need the money and tend to have a decent work ethic...plus they learn easily. Post a bulletin at the local Junior college...you can use a couple kids that fill your schedule and fit their class schedule. I have a fairly large pool of guys to draw from...although, I do pay $10/hour, it keeps me from worrying about a labor shortage.
  5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i can tell you by personal experience this is the best advice you will ever get.i went through this and it took a long time to iron it out.yes, so i ironed it out but it almost broke me .train,train,train.check there work and dont expect to much sleep.plan,plan,plan.good luck

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Employees are like customers, for every good one you find, you will need ten phone calls. For this to work, you place an ad in heavily-trafficked Help Wanted Classifieds, such as those in the Sunday paper.

Peace and luck.
  7. Mowin&Coachin

Mowin&Coachin LawnSite Member

I appreciate the advice so far as it seems to all be good and coming from experience. I like the junior college idea since there is one about 5 minutes from where I live so I might try that....I don't know, we'll see. Please keep the advice coming!!!
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Type up some employee guidelines, in them spell out their EXACT responsiblilites.
    Include everything from if they're allowed to smoke on the job, use their cell phone, how/when they can take breaks. This way they KNOW what they can/cannot do and if they do something they can't do FIRE THEM!