1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a ctl business ?'s

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wmtom, Dec 18, 2005.

1. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I am starting a ctl business I will be running a John Deere ct322 with a cab enclosure and high flow hyd. I purchased a 78" bucket and a 78" root grapple. I can rent other attachments locally such as augers, stump grinders, hyd. breakers, landscape rakes, etc....Should I offer all the services if I am able to rent the attachments or stick only to what attachments I already own. What is the average per hour rate.

Mike Thomas
    Pensacola, Fl

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The way it is usually done is you sell the need for an MTL (rubber trasked loader) then you purchase one. I would not buy any attachments unless the rental from that attachment for the operatiing years cost at least one years rent, including the time it takes you to pick up and deliver the implement.

Our labor rates for a Cat 257B are $75.00 per hour for the machine, and $72.50 for it's operator with a half day minimum charge. The hourly rates are billed portal to portal. We have two machines now, looking at a third so we can keep up with demand.
  3. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

wmtom, there is alot of business and money to be made with track loaders. I got a web site you should check. www.americanexcavatingservices.com. click on services and then click on work examples.
  4. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

The attachments will depend on local needs, the first season will highlight your requirements, and / or lack of acc. (or time to go and fetch) You always end up with customers and neighbors wanting you to do a few more things.

I'm in Pacific Northwest (PNW) so my stumpgrinder has made me $2000k in last 2 weeks. It is most competitive in hillsides and stumps 24" and under. I can't compete with the big Vermeers on 4'+dia, their usual charge is $2/inch Dia. @ $75/hr I can beat them by 50% - 100% on the smaller stuff. (A 4' stump 2' out of ground takes me 30 min to ground, and 30 min for roots / w/o rocks. 18"-24" I can do in less than 1/2 hr) The stumpgrinder has 'curb appeal', and many folks stop by and ask me to quote.

I bought a used machine (350hrs) w/ 8 attachments (very low hrs, all like new), but the first thing I did was buy a combo 4-1 bucket, as it is indispensible on my crawler. The PITA (safety switches, time loss...) of climbing out of Skidsteer a zillion x/day (to chain up loads, use shovel...) didn't impress me. I got a used one off eBay as I could not get a reply from 'Missy' at Attachmentsexpress.com (their new was cheaper) (internet scam??) Quick Attach has a nice one too, but by pics it looks to have voids under bucket wear plates (material cross contamination nightmare)Your grapple will be very helpful, but I use the combo to do 'extended length' back grading, metered scraping material removal (like an earth scraper) metered spreading, and of course to pickup whatever junk needs moved, and to get last shovel of material. Also works great pulling fence posts :)

I think you will find need for a dump truck if you don't have. I'm looking for a flatbed dump (farm grain truck) to save on insurance, and to assist in hauling attachments.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but what do folks use to tow their CTL's around?

My early 1T 4x4 Cummins flatbed is struggling (mountainous terrain, + 4500# EW trailer, eager beaver 3axle 20k GVW) I have crossed the scales at 28,000# with 7 attachments.

I will look into air brake power unit, with lots of gears and jake brake. Currently have my eye on a 1965 AutoCar 22' fladbed dump with 13spd+4spd brownie. but this is over kill...:blush:
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If your interested I have an 1985 IH single axle, 33K GVW air brakes, L10 Cummins with a 9 speed. The bed is a 16' fold down contractors body. Works great for loading attachments. It will haul 5-6 yards of material. Great truck just don't use it much anymore. Has double acting tailgate, pintle/ball combo, electric brake controller, synthetic oil throughout.
  6. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

OFF TOPIC, sorry...:gunsfirin

ksss, I'm interested, but for some reason I can't send a PM to you.

Try to get one to me, so we can talk, I have a few other questions or you as well,

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

jan, you need to have at least 25 posts and be a member for at least 30 days... (thanks jonholland for that info!). I learned that the hard way, too.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Hey Mike,

I have relatives in Pensacola & Navarre. From the pics I've seen of Hurricane Ivan, sounds like you should have gotten that machine and grapple bucket about 18 months ago! payup payup

I just upgraded to a track machine and LOVE it. Good luck with yours.
  9. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I am going to do a mail out with a flier and my business card. I am going to mail out 250 to all the home builders in the phone book and either the business's under lawn maintenance or landscapers which one would be a better choice and why.

Thanks for your time
    Mike Thomas
    Pensacola, Fl.