starting a greenhouse/nursery

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by KCL, Aug 12, 2008.

1. KCL

KCL LawnSite Member

I recently purchased 5 acres with two greenhouses. It was used as a wholesale nursery for aquatic plants. What sort of permits or specials things do I need to be able to sell mt plants? Do I need inspection from teh department of agriculture or anything like that?

2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Go to USDA web site and click on your state.In florida we have 2 diffrent kinds.One for growers who grow their own stock and one for re-wholesellers who buy their stock already grown.Whats your market?Are staying whith the what the last guy grew or do you have a new idea?A really good book is called "So you want to start a nursery".

3. KCL

KCL LawnSite Member

The previous owner grew almost all aquatic plants. I think that the public interest has really gone down in aquatic plants. I plan on growing the basic perennials to start out. I have a couple of contractors to sell to. I would like to do some retail so I will start to branch out growing different things when I get a better idea of the market and learn the industry a little better. What do you grow?

4. CkLandscapingOrlando

I currently just use the back yard to grow for my landscaping but I'm looking into moving to north florida and growing cold hardy tropicals.I have oleanders,4 var. of jasmine,coonties,plumeria,hibiscus,crinums,myrtles,4 var. lantana,11 var.cannas,bird of paradise white and orange,fountain grass,day lilies 5 var.,some citrus,some cactus,5 var crotons,2 var. of ties and a bunch of other crap.
    I dont think you'll find to many growers on here but I'd love to keep in touch.I love the plants alot more then the grass

5. KCL

KCL LawnSite Member

Do you know of any grower forums?

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

I wish I did.I'm sure theres one out there but I have yet to find it

7. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Nope not many growers on here. Arbor site has a section for nursery. Wish there was more discussion here. If you find a good site let me know.

8. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I have about an acre in east orlando (behind avalon) that I am planning on using to start a small nursery.

I have bromeliads, canna lillies, fire bush, oleanders, aztec grass, mexican petunias, crotons, madagascar palms...

9. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I enjoy the plant end of things more than I do the grass.

Growing up I have memories of my father taking me to his nearly 10 acre field where he grew corn, sugar cane, agave plants.

He'd literally work me for hours and I fell in love with working outdoors, the land, fresh air, mother nature!

I bought these few acres to build a house on but I can't even afford to pay for the plans to have it built! So, in the meantime, if I could work the land and have it produce an income stream for me I would love to do so.

If you have any advice or suggestions on how to make this a reality or maybe even a few tips or ideas that I may not have thought about that'd be welcome.

Chris

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

The most important thing I can say is go to the fnats show next month.I'm sure I could give you a few ideas I just dont know where your at with your own ideas.I could definatly point you in a few directions on supplies,plants,irg. parts,and maybe some ideas on the set up.Thats if you need any of that.Hit me up and let me know.