Starting a job tomorrow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawnmaster2, Oct 8, 2006.

1. lawnmaster2

lawnmaster2 LawnSite Member

I am starting a job tomorrow that i am not looking forward to. They have had an underground sprinkler system for eight years and they decided to put a pool in there back yard. Didn't call or anything just starting digging and installed the pool and covered all pipe that was hit. I have a feeling this isn't gonna be fun at all. Don't have a clue where anything is. How would you guys go about doing this? It would probably be easier and cheaper to install a new system wouldn't it. Also beside the pool they build a log cabin for a catering business. Basically took up the whole back yard. there was appr. seven zones in the backyard. Single strand wire and the mainline come from both directions and met in the backyard to go into there garage.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Without being there I can only offer the following advice. You will have to determine what exactly is still intact to whatever point it has been removed and then go from there. If the whole thing has been butchered then most likely it will be cheaper and faster in the long run to install new.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd figure out the wiring, and install fresh for the backyard. Whats left of the zones won't water correctly anyways.

I've done this a handfull of times.

There was a time where some people built a addition to their house and tore it a 4 valve manifold. I had to find the pipes and run new mainline and wire. Its not easy, but sometimes you get lucky.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Renovating existing zones is my specialty since school sites are always in a state of flux. They're always adding or subtracting things. Sometimes things just don't work out and you do have to install completely new zones. This is where we rely on Hunter WVCs when a system has been completely maxed out wire-wise and it's just not worth the hassle to run additional wiring. However, in most residential situations an additional controller is not necessary.

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We average about 1-2 a month during the summer. I HATE those things.

6. lawnmaster2

I hate swimming pools after sprinklers go in. I have two customers this year i am doing this one tomorrow and the other will be a winter project. I would rather do them in the winter because they seem to take longer than an install. ive got people wanting me to get there dirt yards installed so they can seed and i don't no how long this pool job is gonna take..

7. Dirty Water

Speaking of dirt yards, those are the easiest money you can make.

I come in, plow/trench and just stub the funny pipe up 1' above the grade and backfill with our 3500, We did 30 head system in one day this week.

Then when the final grade is finished one guy comes out and spends an hour putting in the heads, and another hour adjusting. Minimal cleanup time.

8. lawnmaster2

i have a three man install crew and we usually install a six zone system a day. We vibrate the poly in the ground. we use all poly pipe. Seems to go good. I use to use all pvc but switched about four years ago.

9. Dirty Water

Your six zones are how large though?

10. lawnmaster2

7500-9000 sq ft.