Starting a lawn and landscaping business in the US!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by andrekofod, Dec 13, 2007.

1. andrekofod

andrekofod LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

I am from Denmark in Europe
    I have been in the US many times and i’m planning to start a lawn and landscaping business around Tifton Georgia.
    I have seen you talk about license here. What kind of job do you need license and where do you get it?

In DK we calculate all work pr. hour. A normal hourly rate is about 60 $ +25% sale tax (I know the tax sounds crazy ;) but that’s how it is in DK) and if its bigger machines its about 100 $
    But what is a average hourly rate in the US?

Hope some could give me some advise.
    Thanks

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Denmark is in europe? Learn sumpthin new very day.

Start by contacting the state's web site, and visit the county clerk's office. If you think anyone has the time or the inclination to set you up in business at a message board.... I'd suggest working for a landscaping company for a year first.... once you have a clue, ask some questions again.

3. Sundancekid74

Sundancekid74 LawnSite Member

I agree... while you have to take a bite on % of weekly/monthly income you can gain a lot of advice and knowledge by working for someone else. Check this out: I got out of prison in Dec. of 05, couldn't find a job (anywhere) and wound up working for a guy cutting grass for $8.00 hr. I was weed wacker extradenair. Anyway, by May of same year I was certain that lawn care was my cup of tea and was the career for me for me, my family, and my future. I spent $500.00 for a 36' Ransomes Bobcat walk behind, a few bucks in door knockers/fliers, and managed to acquire 12 accounts; one of which Paul Bundy and Johnny Applesead would have felt at home with. I love what I do for a living now and can't tell you what a relief it was for me to stumble into the lawn care industry. It may not provide a huge "boost" for my self-confidence just being your average lawn junkie, but there is a lot to say for working hard/sweating for your hard earned dollar. Can't express in words how it makes capitalism awesome.... Expect much less in hourly rate. More like $22.00 an hour depending on your location. The south is big on irrigation systems which requires a license (plumbing), however, any ex-con with $500.00 and a truck can do business. Good luck.:cool2:

4. andrekofod

from Denmark

Thanks for your posts

I'm not allowed to work for someone els cause I can only start my own business to get the visa.

I didn't expect to charge the same in US as a business in Denmark cause everything is ALLOT more expensive, just some of the tings is we pay 7-8$ pr. gallon for gas, 180 % tax on the cars.

I will check out the state's web site
    Thank you

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

OK Andre.... I wasn't sure if you were a troll or serious.

Do you have a buget? Equipment? Financing?

Since you need a legitamate buisness to get your visa, you will have to get a license, most likely at the county clerk's office. Then call around for some insurance quotes. If you want to be certified (legal) to put down ferilitzer etc, you will need this. Try and contact the Danish embassy and see it they can offer any assistance. They will likely have info on what you will need to start a legal business and qualify for a visa.

Each state and county has different laws and rules. There are local small business advisors available nearby your location that should be able to help as well. These are free services. Good luck.

6. Nicdv1

Nicdv1 LawnSite Member

hi
    Don't you need to get a E2 visa? thats to buy a business thats already started and has employees, and i think you need about $150,000 to invest.
    You need to find a good attorney and maybe a business broker,send me a private message maybe i can help.I have a few good contacts.
    Nick

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Son, you do not pretend to go into business so that you can legitimately obtain a Visa for purposes of immigration, not in the United States nor in any other country is this scam allowed.

The question I have is, where have you stayed when you came to the United States before?
    Surely a motel is not the correct answer, and if it is then you are a long ways from obtaining permanent residency for any purpose.

Look I do wish you the best of luck in any enterprise you decide upon, but I've given you too much information already, and just because we have Mexicans trampling down our fence across Texas it just doesn't mean we're excited about it, see what I mean.

So I'm not sure if it is a good thing to tell you, but try saving about 20 thousand Euros and then get yourself a 30-day tourist visa. In that 30 days you will have to do a considerable amount of leg work, but I believe if you play your cards right then it is possible that Visa can then be extended or perhaps converted into something along the lines of what you are thinking. The exact details of this I do not know of but it is possible, I think, the American Embassy in the capital of Denmark could be of further assistance at this time.

Perhaps, if you get your questions right, a phone call to them might turn up some productive answers.

Have a nice day.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Just ignore topsites he starts .:drinkup: drinking early. Welcome and good luck! I would spend a lot of time with the search feature of this website. If you want to come to AZ let me know and I can help you with your Biz. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you.

9. andrekofod

from Denmark

Im sorry im kind of new here on the forum. How do you send a privat message?

10. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Up at the top right where it says:

Welcome, andrekofod.
    You last visited: Today at 05:59 PM
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0