Starting a LAwn business??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BotetourtBoy3, May 13, 2007.

1. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

I am 16 and currently am trying to start a lawn care business i have no truck an i owen a Craftsman 6.5 hp self-propelled mower, and a curved shaft weedeater. Are ther any tips yall can give or pointers?

2. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I would hit up your neighborhood very hard. Everything within walking distance. Save your money, buy a truck. Then expand your business and buy new commercial equipment as you grow.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be rude, but stop trying.

I'm not a bad guy or trying to scare you away, but a resolution would help, come on lets go or have a nice day.

Either do it or stay back, you can have one or the other, but not some of each, all or nothing, it is one or the other but again not half and a little, you must decide but I highly recommend 100% one way OR 0% the other.
    It just doesn't work out long term any other way, but you're still more than welcome to see this for yourself.

4. S&M Lawn Care

S&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

go door to door and at every house make sure you leave a brochure or something... if they say "i'll think about it, go back in a week. Keep at it and don't be afraid of rejection. Sometimes it can be discouraging when you get turned down by alot of potential clients, but when you get that one... its all worth it. You just have to stick to your guns and sell yourself to potential customers... make them feel like you are the best for the job.
    Here is what i did:
    I sold 68 t-shirts for $12 a piece at my school that said on the front "My friend owns a lawn care business", and on the back it said my services and phone number.. I made $120 from that plus it was FREE advertising as my friends wore them around town. I've picked up over 10 landscaping jobs and signed up 4 mowing accounts. its the best advertising method i have used.
    Also, get an account at www.vistaprint.com and take advantage of all the deals they offer you(Business cards, brochures, post cards, ect.) Your main goal right now should be to keep costs as low as possible, and profit as high as possible. Charge a good price and stick with it.
    I'm 17 and i started when i was 14. This is just my opinion and it has worked very well for me. Good luck and GO TEEN ENTREPRENEURS!

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Topsite is paraphrasing Yoda!

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

6. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I am calling bull$hit. Nothing personally against you (topsites), but it can be done. I started the same way this kid probably is...just a few accounts, LITTLE BY LITTLE, and now 10 years later I employ 2 crew and one foreman year round, work in 9 cities and have a crap load of accounts, in fact, we gained 7 just last week, and 23 this year! We have a 40x32 shop, 40x20 office/confrence space (for meeting clients, Friday meetings). We just made an agreement to aquire an existing business which will nearly double the accounts we currently service. My point is...everyone finds their own way of succeeding, and no one way is wrong or right. Find what works for you, learn from your mistakes and control your every outcome, and you too will be sucessful kid! Good luck to you, from Midwest Lawn Services.

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm 16 too! This year is the year I just starting to get big. I started when I was 12 with a 3 speed honda. it can't hurt to put flyers all over you neighberhood but the key is starting with 1 or two lawns and doing a good job. I always bag and cut in different directions. Every lawn I got was by word of mouth. If you look and act professional people will like you. If you haven't already make business cards. Hope this helps and good luck with your business.
    PS put all your money towards a truck and find a good cheap used one. with a truck you can cut alot mot yards.

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 cents.....when I was young I used to self stuff door to door. Now I wasn't 16, I was like 8 or 9 but people will probably still go for the whole supporting the neighborhood kid thing. Go door to door. You can't compete with the other companies' means of advertising so you gotta get people face to face. I wish I started at your age. I wish I knew at your age what I wanted to do with my life. You got a head start on a lot of us. Good luck!

9. Man

Man LawnSite Member

Hey Im 51 and just starting...Ha!! I am trying to build a retirement job for myself... and part time work for added income

10. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

I have a qucik question how can i walk with a mower, weedeater and blower? lol