1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Lawn Care Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CoreyD, Jan 21, 2007.

1. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

Hi my name is Corey......
    Since last may 2006 I've been off and on doing yard work
    I'm 20 years old. Im a high school graduate
    But...I'm not too sure how to advertise.
    I've been making fliers with Microsoft Word and then driving around neighborhoods putting fliers in newspaper boxes.
    I printed out 250 copies and got only 8 calls since october 2 of which have asked me to come back every week or 2.
    So what would be the best way to advertise?.... Whats the best way for starting a new lawn care business?.... I dont know how to do the monthly contracts thing I just get paid the day I finish the job and come back whenever they call me or ask me to come back

is there a book I can buy that could maybe give me more knowledge?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to Lawnsite:waving: Do a search and your going to find a wealth of information that will help you. One of the best things that helped us was a ad in the yellow pages. Word of mouth is going to help you the most. Good luck my friend.:)

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Sit at your computer for a few hours, search, and read. All of your questions have been answered many times before. There is a wealth of information on this site.

Getting 8 calls from 250 fliers is a great response IMO.

The best way of getting business is referrals/ word of mouth. If you do a good job, people are going to tell their friends/family.

Most of the work I got last year was from word of mouth. I actually did ZERO advertising last year because I started in Mid-April. This is my side business, and got a late start last year. I plan on doing a little advertising this year, depends if we keep a school contract we got last year.

It sounds simple, but I've found the two BEST factors in my area. Look professional and do an outstanding job.

With so many around in my area, you have to stand out form the crowd in some way.
  4. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

speaking of contracts.... how did you learn about doing contracts.... and bidding
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Best way to get new customers is advertising.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I did a lot of reading about both. When doing residential contracts I discuss at length with the customer about what they want...SPECIFICALLY!! I then take plenty of time crunching numbers and build into the contract the price fluctuations expected for supplies (straw, mulch, etc).

Bidding is the same. On the school contract the superintendent would come up at least twice a month and ask why we didn't do this or that. We simply stated that it was not included in the contract. We actually came out really good because after the first month the time it took was dramatically reduced. It had not been maintained well at all in the past. It hadn't been edged in years (6-10" of fescue over the sidewalks, etc. Once we got it in shape, it was a breeze. Plus a few areas were eliminated because of building expansions, and newly built tennis courts and soccer fields.
  7. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

If you realy did get 8 calls from 250 fliers, then thats all the advertising you need! 3.2% is amazing! The average response is less than 2%! IMO print 1000 more and pick up another 32 customers! Good luck and keep up the good work!
  8. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you're serious about this business, buy Sean's (this site's creator) business package. It's cheap and walks you through the whole process and has all the forms etc., you need. It's well worth it and cheap. You can download it when you pay for it and implement it the next day. Good luck. Ben
  9. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

yea i meen i want to make a career out of this.... i didint do that well in high school so im not planning on going to college but i alredy have everything i need pretty much for this business to work out..... all i need is a pick up heh i drive a jeep cherokee right now
  10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

My 1st 2 years i used a mini van. Had to take the handlebars off every time i put the 21" in the van, lol.