Starting a lawn Care business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BRENT15041, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BRENT15041

BRENT15041 LawnSite Member

Need some help starting a business there are a lot of big time mowing companies and how would i go about getting the yards and how to bid the yards.

2. bobcat_manS185

bobcat_manS185 LawnSite Member

Bid the job on how long you think it will take you to do it. Either that or just charge a flat rate.

3. BRENT15041

what do you think i should charge for flat rate?

4. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

Around 5.00 an hour is the going rate by me! ;)

5. RozarLawnCare

RozarLawnCare LawnSite Member

Rather than give you a smartt___ answer like some. I am also in the south and just above Huntsville AL. If you have good commercial equipment you should have no problem getting 30-45 dollars an hour.

6. BRENT15041

thanks that's what i was wanting to know. what part are you from?

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont charge a flat rate. this will bring more trouble in the long run.

Home owners are NOT stupid. if you did this you would become there employee, and they would have to have insurance on YOU. and they would have to 1099 you.

Become a REAL company. and contract yourself out.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, you've got it made there! Wish I could get that. I have to pay my customers to let me mow their lawn.

9. RozarLawnCare

RozarLawnCare LawnSite Member

What I meant was just a way to figure what to charge, not tell the customer how you came up with the price.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I'll give you a serious and hopefully helpful answer. It really depends on your area, what your costs are, what you need to make and what your equipment is. If you're in a depressed area where people are struggled to put food on the table, you're not going to be able to get the same money as someone in an affluent area where people have money to burn. Personally, I want to be able to pay myself at least $15 to $20/hour hour, so that means I need to charge at least $40 to $75/hour depending on the size of the job and what equipment I'm running. If I'm just weeding, I can afford to do that at $40/hr because there's really no equipment overhead involved, whereas if I'm running my Lazer Z with bagger on, I need a good bit more, and I need even more if I'm running my landscape tractor. It's usally a trial and error thing. If you find you're getting every job you bid on, you're probably too high. If you're not getting any, you're probably too high. If you're getting 1/3 to 1/2 of them, you're probably priced about right.