Starting a lawn mowing business, hopefully.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lwallace, Oct 28, 2005.

1. lwallace

lwallace LawnSite Member

I need some advice.................................................

I’ve been laid off for the second time in my life, working for someone else! I hope to change that by starting my own lawn mowing business. I’m an Army veteran and hope to attain a small business loan to get me started, and I have a friend that’s been in the business for 15 + years and I know I can rely on him for help. I found this site today and I will listen to any advice that’s available, I will be doing this business by myself for a while until I build it up. I live in St Petersburg Florida, the equipment I’m looking at is a Gravey PM 34Z Zero-Turn Mower, backpack blower, edger, weed eater, a enclosed trailer for security reason (that way I don’t have to unload my equipment each night to secure it, I just leave it in the trailer secured at my house) I’m looking to leasing a truck plain Jane truck for this business. Question 1) what is a good enclosed trailer. 2) What is a good rider, zero-turn I need a small one to get between the gates of peoples homes. 3) And what brands do you recommended for a blower, edger, and weed eater.

2. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

well, i cant say much for the enclosed trailers because i dont have one. however in terms of a mower, it depends on the size of your loan and what you expect to get in terms of accounts. we run a 52" stander and it is great. most of the time you will be able to fit a 48" mower into peoples back yards. obviously that is something you need to investigate before taking the account. Wright also makes a 36" Stander which is nice, however you are sacrificing time. we have had very good luck with the stander so far. as far as trimmers, blowers, etc., i say Redmax 7001 for a blower. for trimmers it depends on the person using it, you need to find something that wont kill your back.

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome and good luck,

1. I don't know about that, probably wells cargo.
    2. Well if you need that 34 inch than probably the gravley, I don't know anything about them, however you would probably be better off getting a walkbehind to start off with.
    3. You can't go wrong with the remax eb 7001, or the newer 8000(8001) the are the best on the market. Edger, shindaiwa le261, and trimmer, t261 or t272. I have tried the echos, and stilhs and like the shindaiwas much better.

Good luck and stick around you can learn a lot from this site.

4. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome

Florida and Texas(Houston are much alike in 3 areas,

1. Its hot and I would never chase around behind a walkbehind , it s just too damm hot in the summer

2. St.Augstine Grass.......

3. Small gates are a pain but there are tons of them, forget 48"s, 44"s and some 36".

I would think twice about the standers on the fact that they dont have floatin decks and its a pain to change the height. THe lawns I cut range from 3 " to 4", I would not want to have to change out the casters. Also I would get a unit that has a floating Deck.Not trying to rag on standers.

I have the Gravely 34"z and its an awsome machine, I would get one again in a heart beat.

Plenty of power, solid commerical machine. Do a search on gravely 34"zs and you will find a lot of info. I have yet to find someone here that bought one and didnt like it.Good luck

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

one thing no one has mentioned yet is dealer support. this isn't really important with the trailer. since they're pretty much problem free unless something is really wrong.

2. 34z sounds like the machine for you since you're in fl, i understand there are a lot of small gates down there. i run a 260Z and i absolutely love it. get the biggest HP you can on the machine. thats one thing i didn't do, which i regret on wet days.

3. go with the best dealer support. go into a couple places, poke your nose under some equipment, ask for a demo outside on the 2 stroke stuff. chances are the ones that actually help you and let you try it outside are going to give you the best support. Ask a couple locals who they like for dealer support, see if they name someone you had on your list. 'Cause when its 102F and you're behind in the schedule you need to know that if your equipment takes a dump, you can get it fixed in quick time.

As far as naming brands, I would look at Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax for 2 stroke stuff.

6. Buddy Markley

Buddy Markley LawnSite Member

Hey, best luck with your startup.

Stihl, Husky, Red Max are all great small engine equipment.

An enclosed trailer,,excellant idea. Be sure to get one that has wood on the inside walls.

Walker mowers I think would be great for you they have interchangeable DECKS up to 72" and ton's of attachments for them.

www.walkermowers.com

7. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Man I live in tampa next door you'll need need a 32 or even a 22 to get these back yards in the bay area i use both and a 52 hydro lesco choose a mower with fast blade speed for them bahia accounts and look for a dealer close to you ,lots in st.pete so easy on service drop off They call it florida scapes which means small wood gates with paths small front yards with designer beads some accounts won't let you use a big mower,(somebody already twisted and put holes in their yards from a zero turn) and with a truck if I started over i would get a base Toyo tundra 8 ft. bed for 15k