Starting a Lawncare company questions!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CAT MAN, May 30, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Ok Im 15 and highly thinking of getting a trailer for my truck and mow lawns after school and weekends, I was wondering if It would work out in the end of the year for profits, if it does I would really like to make a company out of it. I live in northeast PA and will have big and small lawns, I'm a hard worker so Lots of work is great, I just would like to know if it would be profitable and worth wild?

2. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

15 eh? I am 51.

To answer your question, can profitable? Yes, it CAN be profitable. And here are the IFs:

1) You have to stick with it and that means every weekend during the spring and summer and maybe into the fall.

2) You have to be serious about growing from the very beginning. One account is not worth it. 10 accounts might be, for a teenager in school. 20 would be even better.

3) You have to learn to estimate accurately. One bad estimate can take away a lot of profit.

Advice: Don't go wild trying to get everything that you read about on Lawnsite. I started with a 21" push mower that was 14 years old and loaded it into the back of the family minivan along with an electric blower and extention cords. A small trailer? Load it into the back of your truck and see how you like it. If it's not for you then you are out nothing.

3. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Well if I do get started I would like to see it grow into a company, and question is the going rate a dollar a min??

4. earls lawns 1

earls lawns 1 LawnSite Member

never charge less than 40 a yard unless u have 15 yards in one area then u dont half to waste gas

5. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

Way to go, obviously you are thinking like I did, why work at minimum wage and work long hours for little pay. Now the great thing about being 15, which I am also, is that you don't pay for your home, food, not many taxes, health insurance, so all that money your making goes straight to cash.
    Now I hate telling you this but its the truth, its hard work getting those first customers. I started in 6th grade with a little push mower 21 inch, I picked up one customer my first year, next year word of mouth and a little advertisement got me about 4 customers. From there I purchased a craftsman riding mower. Finally ninth grade year I was up to 13 customers making about 300 a week in profit, I then used craigslist to update my equipment, I picked up a 52 inch exmark for 700 dollars 4 years old. (I got really lucky there) I then found a guy who sold me a trailer, and who had a really ugly stihl backpack leaf blower that ran perfectly fine. I bought it for 100 and then the trailer for 400, all my equipment for under 1500. The trick is the used market, learn some basic engine stuff and know what to look for!!

Now to get customers advertise on craigslist and make door hangers. Most business will come through word of mouth.

Make sure you act like a buisness man, and build strong foundations.

It takes me 20-30 minutes to cut and trim and yard and I get 20-50 dollars.
    This is the ideal buisness to get into. I work maybe 6 hours a week and at minamum wage I'd be making 5.50 an hour and 30 dollars total. Instead I am making 1200 in six hours.

Get into this buisness its great!!

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

check your calculator please...your math doesnt add up.

7. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

Sorry about that
    I see where I'm wrong I meant 6 hours a week and make 1200 a month

8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

You would never get any work down here. I'd like to see you charge $40 for a 6,000 sq ft lawn in a cookie cutter subdivision.

Ignore that $40 bs and find out the rates IN YOUR AREA. Don't try to go off of the lowballing $20 rates in Florida and don't let someone else tell you its $25 higher than the rate in your area.

Research your area is the best advice, but don't try to undercut that rate just to get work.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

im 15 too and i started with a 21'' clippers and a broom in middle school. After making some money i bought a backpack blower and weedwacker and with the money ive made so far i just bought a used 48'' so if you stay with it and work hard things wil work out. So just start small

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

good to see that you're thinking. i see too many 15 y/o acting like idiots leaching off their parents. you have a good plan, and you've gotten some great advice. i like what was said about starting small and not investing a lot to start w/. ur out nothing if you get hurt, or just dont like it. its a great business but it aint for everyone. also, dont go inot debt if you can help it, if you cant afford to get a ztr and have very minimal debt on it, you probably dont need it yet. BUT, when it you do get to that point, buy good quality commercial equipment, buy fom the same dealer, try to stick w/ the same brands, and buy from a dealer that you like. scag, exmark, toro, gravely...are comparable machines, i really like those 4 and several others, i wont tell you that one is far superior to the others, but i will say my exmark/gravely dealer is far superior to my scag dealer in this area. so i stay w/ the exmark/gravely dealer, and consequently use stihl handhelds b/c thats all he sells. i know this is a little down the road, but start now, make a relationship w/ a good dealer now, and you'll be surprised at the work he'll send you, and how he'll take care of you if you buy from him. dealer support is crucial, even starting out, and is a very key part in what equipment you run. i buy everything from him, and he takes care of me.