Starting a lawncare service.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSTR, Jan 21, 2003.

1. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

Am interested in starting and growing a lawncare business. Realizing there is plenty of experience "out there", I am seeking advice as to what questions I should be asking myself about (some of which are about; equipment, labor, maintenance, bidding/estimates, developing client base, etc.). I also realize I could have misconception about what it will take, and am interested in advice.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Welcome to There is an abundance of information here just finger tips away. Use the search feature and you will find what you are looking for...I am sure. Your question is very broad, but the specifics can be found. If I was you I would start off getting some doorhangers ( or make some flyers. They are both relitively cheap. If you are serious about this, buy commercial equipment. I could recommend some brands, but so could about 8000 other members here. It comes down to that Ford/Chevy argument. Go to your local dealers and demo different mowers. If you don't know yet, buy whatever and do a good job. Your quality will speak for itself. Get general liability insurance. It doesn't cost much. One other thing, use the search feature.

Good luck
  3. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

Thanks Matt. I will use the "search".
  4. Arjo

Arjo LawnSite Member

One thing I learned in buying equipment is to have an equal amount in savings to cover maintenance. It's too easy to get in debt using credit cards to cover maintenance costs. Secondly, do your own maintenance--you'll save money. Third, if possible have one person to help you--it's faster and safer. My wife helps when she can. Next, I'd get as many twelve-month contracts as I could handle....the pay-as-they-go customers aren't there for you in the winter time. If possible, team up with another lawn care man on the big contracts---customers feel more secure dealing with a group, better chance of getting the work done.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Run run run. Do not do this!

Unless you are very serious about this endeavor. I see so many ads in the local papers about very new equipment for sale. I know why. It is very difficult to start a new business and be profitable. You will be lucky to make $10 your first year. You will be lucky to make $20,000 your second year. And all of this is if you are buying the right equipment for later. I guess you could buy homeowners stuff and make $15,000 /year and be happy with that. But that is all you will ever make. Buying commercial equipment with commercial insurance will cost a pretty penny and will require that you have plenty of good profitable work for years to come. Good Luck.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This is definitely not something to just rush into. I would talk with local companies to get some feedback from them on your specific area. You might even consider working for someone else to a while to get some additional insight and see if this is really for you.

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Ease into it.theres no glamour in 100degree HEAT.make sure you really want to make a go of it,before you jump in.Talk to some lcos out in Texas,theres some good ones they can help ya.:)
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Couldn't do just fine without Lawn Scrubique?
  9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

You know what I am really getting sick of these people who don't have clue ( lawn choupique ). My neighbor used to say " its better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt " Think about it lawn choupique, We as Fire and Police typically spend more time in our careers spend far more time training than any other fields!

I guess you must be an arsonist or ex conn or both since you think we are not so smart ! I hope someday you need help and the Fire Department and Police are just too busy to help you ! Maybe you will think twice about assuming that we are not " top shelf material" !
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This tells me that you have an open mind. A lot of people don't relize how much effert goes into a business. I'd guess that for every hour I acually cut grass, I spend 10 minutes on, billing or maintenence.